Training and development
Federation University is committed to further developing the capability of our workforce which promotes a culture of lifelong learning. We encourage you to participate in learning and development opportunities to support your career and professional development goals.
ELMO access and course requests
- Log in to the ELMO online learning management system <please use Google Chrome>
2022 Professional Development Catalogue
The Professional Development Catalogue provides continuing and fixed-term staff with a range of opportunities across three key capability areas.
The catalogue has a strong focus on the future of work and continuous learning which is essential to remain a thriving and sustainable university that transforms lives and enhances communities. Each opportunity aligns with our Living Values Charter which defines our values and expected behaviours to support our strategic priorities and cultural change program.
- Download: 2022 Professional Development Catalogue (pdf, 1.8MB)
- Download: Upcoming sessions - October 2022 (pdf, 116kb)
You can ‘sign up’ for a program by selecting the Access ELMO to review upcoming dates and to ‘Sign Up’ link provided on each program page.
- There is no cost for participants to attend (please ensure your supervisor has approved your training request and time release prior to enrolling).
- Places are limited. If sessions are at capacity, sign up to be added to the waitlist should any spaces become available.
- Upcoming sessions will be advertised on FedNews.
Hints and tips
LinkedIn Learning supports our learning and development approach and enhances our professional development calendar offering through:
- access to customised, bite-sized, on-demand learning
- skill development that compliments all learning styles
- increasing capabilities with a focus contemporary skills development.
With access to a diverse range of courses and content, you can choose from the extensive tutorials and personalised recommendations and begin learning at a time and location that is convenient to you.
We encourage you to log into LinkedIn Learning today to enhance your learning and development journey.
If you haven’t yet activated your account, go to the activate your LinkedIn Learning account page (access is free for Federation University staff).
Learning ‘paths’ have been developed to support specific areas of priority and focus and provide you with a curated set of videos, courses and content on a specific topic or career trajectory.
Select from the below paths to get started.
Project management is a set of techniques that anyone can apply to achieve goals and make projects more successful. Project management can be used to guide small, simple projects as well as complex enterprise-wide initiatives.
This learning path aims to increase skills in how to manage projects from beginning to end using proven project management techniques.
This path contains the following short course and video:
- project management simplified
- traditional vs agile project management
- project management foundations: communication
- leading remote projects and virtual teams
- project management: solving common project problems
- project management foundations: small projects.
Standalone course recommendations
The courses below have been selected to develop understanding and support skill development in specific areas of priority and focus.
Select from the courses to review the learning outcomes and get started.
Our ability to be productive and perform at work is not based on the time we spend on each task, but the energy we bring to the time we have. In this course, learn how to boost your productivity by managing your energy more effectively.
- recognise the downfalls of using every spare moment to accomplish a task
- list four variables that should be optimised to ensure peak performance
- name the aspect of total energy that is most closely correlated with the readiness to solve complex problems
- identify the best activities for energising after waking
- recall the average focused attention span
- determine which activities create opportunity to enhance time management.
Learn how to enhance your personal performance and build effective relationships at work by developing emotional intelligence.
- what is emotional intelligence?
- watching for triggers and hijacks
- finding flow
- shifting perspective
- listening and communicating
- playing to strengths
- collecting feedback
- aligning intention and impact.
Learn how to boost your emotional quotient (EQ) to better lead teams, work with peers, and cultivate productivity and positive relationships.
- analyse the brain science behind emotional intelligence
- identify and assess your emotions
- determine how to exercise emotional self-control
- identify your triggers and how to respond the them
- assess how others respond at work
- determine how to maximise team performance using emotional intelligence
- discover how to catalyse change.
Learn how to cultivate an adaptable mindset and build the right skills, including communication and open-mindedness to help you thrive in times of crisis, and succeed no matter what the future holds.
- identify how to be more adaptable
- how to cultivate an adaptable mindset
- identify practical strategies to help you succeed
- how to put adaptability into action.
For general enquiries about these programs, or if you have any disability access or support requirements, please contact Organisational Development via email@example.com or call (03) 5327 9756.
More training options (OHS, first aid, etc) can be found on the Health, Safety and Wellbeing training page.
Learning and teaching professional development can be found on the Learning and teaching page.