Process a journal that crosses departments
In the Journal Header select the Source Code of the Department that will be incurring the expenditure, complete the Edit Journal and Submit process as per your user access. This will initiate the Workflow Approval Process and will direct the Journal to the appropriate parties for approval before being directed to Finance for posting.
If you wish to notify the Approver use the 'Notify' button to send an email advising that a Journal awaits approval.
Best process to use when creating a journal that will be completed over a period of time
Initiate a Journal and ensure the option on the Header page 'Save Journal Incomplete' is selected. This enables data to be entered to the Journal and saved. When the Journal is complete the Journal can be submitted to Workflow as per the normal process.
Internal transfer codes
Internal Transfer codes are the 6500 series of account codes designed for the internal transfer of expenses/revenue to ensure that reporting figures are not over-inflated. These codes should be utilised for facility hire charges, print centre charges and catering etc.
Adjust the VAT code on a journal line
When processing a Journal on an Account code that incurs GST (Primary Account codes) the VAT code will need to be adjusted to Exempt or the Journal entry will result in GST being calculated a second time.
Import spreadsheet journal for journal lines that need to be made GST exempt
Yes, but when you import the Journal into myFinance you will need to complete the 'Edit Journal' Process and then return to each line that needs to be made GST exempt, amend the VAT status to exempt then change each line amount back to the GST exclusive amount.
Process for accompanying documentation relating to journals I have processed
The myFinance Journal Approval process is electronic therefore accompanying documentation should not be submitted to Finance but kept at the source location. Note your documentation with the Journal ID number or print a copy of the Journal via the process below.
Print a copy of a journal
You can print a hard copy of a journal by performing the following process:
- In the Lines tab click on the Process list.
- Select 'Print Journal' for an XMLP report.
- Click the 'Process' button.
- Click on the Process Monitor link, click Refresh until the Run Status equals 'Success' and the Distribution Status equals 'Posted'.
- Close the window.
- Select the Report Manager link.
- Select the Report link for the Journal Entry Print job.
- Select the HTML link and your report will appear on the screen.
- The report representing the Journal details can be printed from this screen.
After submitting a journal how can I notify the approval person that the journal will be in their worklist?
In the Lines tab of the journal click the 'Notify' button will enable users to send a notification. In this field you will be able to select the approving staff member's name and send them an email to advise that the journal is currently in their worklist awaiting approval.
Follow these steps:
- Click the 'Notify' button.
- Click the 'Lookup Recipient' link.
- Type in the first name of the intended recipient and click 'Search'.
- Search results will be listed below, for the intended recipient select TO, CC or BC.
- Click 'Add to Recipient List'.
- Repeat steps 3 to 5 for any additional recipients.
- Click 'OK'.
- Notification details page will be displayed.
- Select a Priority from the drop down list, HIGH, MED or LOW.
- Enter a Subject.
- Enter a Message to the recipient if required.
- Click 'OK' to send and move back to the Lines tab.
- Click 'Apply' to remain on the Notification page.
Can I enter a journal into a period which is not the current period?
The cut-off date for your journals is 4pm on the 3rd business day of the following month. For example, a journal created in February 2013 must be approved by the 3rd business day in March 2013 to ensure it is posted into the correct accounting period.
Please note: if a journal needs to be future dated the journal can be saved and Edit Journal/Submit Process completed, but posting will not occur until the Journal Date is reached.
What if my journal doesn't get approved before the 3rd business day?
Journals that are not approved within this time frame will need to be re-created in the next period. This means that users will need to copy the original journal with a new date, and then cancel the original journal.
Delete a journal
You can delete a journal prior to posting by following this process:
- Navigate into the journal via Create/Update Journals.
- Click on the 'Lines' tab.
- From the Process drop down list select 'Delete Journal'.
- Click the 'Process' button.
- The Journal Status will now show as 'D'.
If a journal has been posted to the ledger and I find it is no longer required, what can I do to reverse this Journal?
A journal can be 'Unposted' but once unposted the same journal cannot be reposted to the ledger. The unpost process is only used when a journal is no longer required. If a situation arose that a journal had been posted with an incorrect code on one line you would need to create another journal to correct the error.
General users will not have access to the unpost process, if a situation arises that you require a journal to be unposted please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.