Moderation of assessment
Moderation is a quality assurance process by which an individual or group not involved in setting or marking an assessment task confirms that assessment is continuously conducted with accuracy, consistency and fairness. Moderation contributes to the continuous improvement of assessment practice and to sharing good practice among colleagues.
- Pre-Assessment Moderation: Pre-assessment moderation validates the appropriateness, fairness, clarity, accuracy and standard of assessment tasks and materials before they are used for assessment.
- Post-Assessment Moderation: Post-assessment moderation checks marking by moderating a designated sample of marked student work to ensure that markers are making consistent and accurate assessment decisions, in accordance with published assessment criteria.
What process of moderation are you undertaking to maintain equity, consistency and fairness of the marking of assessments? When are you doing this and who is going to monitor the process to ensure integrity is maintained?
Please check with your institute for specific processes relating to moderation of assessment tasks in your Program.
Resources, strategies or assistance
Federation University policies and guidelines
- Federation University Policy - Supplementary Guidelines: Learning Outcomes and Assessment
- Federation University Policy - Higher Education Assessment Policy
- Federation University Procedure - Higher Education Assessment Procedure
- For more assistance in the moderation and marking processes undertaken within your Program, please contact your Director, Learning and Teaching or Program Leader.