Academic Induction Program
The Academic Induction Program (Learning and Teaching) is a formalised support for higher education teaching staff new, or returning, to Federation University. All staff, whether sessional, contract or ongoing, are expected to complete this 15-hour blended program within their probation period.
Academic staff are provided with an introduction to:
- general and specific Federation learning and teaching practices
- learning technologies to support university learning and teaching initiatives
- support networks available for academic well-being and enhancing learning and teaching practices
- support networks available to aid student retention and success
- Target group: Mandated for all new, or returning, university academic or teaching support staff. Completion preferable within the first semester of employment.
- Campus: Berwick, Brisbane, Gippsland, Wimmera and Ballarat (pending numbers)
Time allocation: Overall: 15 hours: Breakdown: 7 hours face-to-face workshop (or permitted equivalent) and 8 hours online. Online component to be completed within 4 weeks of workshop attendance.
- Facilitators: CLIPP, Library, School and department staff
- Cost: Nil. Sessional staff will be paid to attend at the ‘Other Required Academic Activity’ rate, on completion of the program.
|Monday 10 February 2020||09:00am – 4:30pm||Mt Helen|
|Tuesday 11 February 2020||09:00am – 4:30pm||Berwick|
|Wednesday 12 February 2020||09:00am – 4:30pm||Gippsland|
|Tuesday 03 March 2020||09:00am – 4:30pm||Brisbane|
|Tuesday 24 March 2020||Postponed||N/a||Gippsland|
|Wednesday 25 March 2020||Postponed||N/a||Berwick|
|Thursday 26 March 2020||Postponed||N/a||Mt Helen|
|Tuesday 30 June 2020||Session full||09:00am – 4:30pm||Brisbane|
|Monday 13 July 2020||Session full||09:00am – 4:30pm||Wimmera|
|Tuesday 14 July 2020||Session full||09:00am – 4:30pm||Gippsland|
|Wednesday 15 July 2020||Session full||09:00am – 4:30pm||Berwick|
|Thursday 16 July 2020||Session full||09:00am – 4:30pm||Mt Helen|
|Tuesday 18 August 2020||09:00am – 4:30pm||Mt Helen|
|Wednesday 19 August 2020||09:00am – 4:30pm||Gippsland|
|Thursday 20 August 2020||09:00am – 4:30pm||Berwick|
|Tuesday 27 October 2020||09:00am – 4:30pm||Brisbane|
|Workshop - Activities and discussions related to:||Outline units - Information related to:|
|Introduction to engaging teaching practices||Introduction to university L&T frameworks|
|Introduction to assessment||Introduction to university L&T structures|
|Introduction to moderation and marking||Introduction to assessment practices|
|Introduction to Moodle||Introduction to learning and teaching practices|
|Navigating the AIP Moodle site - resources and activities||Introduction to student diversity and supports|
|Introduction to academic supports||Introduction to enhancing practice through review|
|Accessing professional development opportunities||Introduction to research|
|Continuing professional development|
- Due to COVID-19 restrictions, June/July dates are now full. Registration is currently closed and will re-open Wednesday 15 July for August/October dates.
- Maximum of 20 participants per intake. Minimum of 5 participants per intake to proceed.
- Participants will be contacted one week prior to the workshop with specific details of room location and map, workshop agenda and times and other relevant details.