Academic Induction Program
The Academic Induction Program (AIP) is a formalised support for higher education teaching staff new, or returning, to Federation University. All staff, whether sessional, contract or ongoing, are expected to complete this 15 hour blended program within their probation period.
Academic staff are provided with an introduction to:
- general and specific Federation University learning and teaching practices
- learning technologies to support university learning and teaching initiatives
- support networks available for academic wellbeing and enhancing learning and teaching practices
- support networks available to aid student retention and learning success
- Target group: Mandated for all new, or returning, university teaching staff as per the Academic Probation Procedure (HR955) or teaching support staff. Completion preferable within the first semester of employment.
- Campus: Workshops offered on all campuses at least once a semester
- Time allocation: Total of 15 hours
- Facilitators: CAD, Library, SEAS, teachers and department staff
- Cost: Nil. Sessional staff will be paid to attend at the ‘Other Required Academic Activity’ rate, on completion of the program, pending available funds.
|Part A - Online | Pre-workshop||Part B - On Campus | Workshop||Part C - Online | Post-workshop|
|Time allocation: 6 hours||Time allocation: 6 hours||Time allocation: 3 hours|
|Complete any time, preferably |
BEFORE a workshop
|Download a copy of upcoming workshop dates, campuses and room details (pdf, 433kb)||Complete post completion of PART A and attendance at PART B|
|Unit 1: Introduction to L&T frameworks||Active learning in all delivery modes||Unit 7: Feedback|
|Unit 2: Introduction to learning||Challenges in assessment design|
Unit 8: Quality assurance
|Unit 3: Introduction to assessment||Introduction to marking and moderation||Unit 9: Teaching administration|
|Unit 4: Introduction to teaching||Feedback|
Unit 10: Enhancing practice through review
|Unit 5: Academic software & teaching tools||Introduction to Moodle & co.|
|Unit 6: Student and teacher support services|
Support Services – Library, LSA & CAD
|**Certificate of AIP completion issued at completion of PART C|
- Self-enrol in the Academic Induction Program | Moodle page to access all parts of the program, including the registration portal for the Part B – On Campus Workshops
Teaching staff induction and support checklists
These documents are designed to ensure that all new ongoing, fixed term and sessional teaching staff are provided with the essential inductions and support processes to enable successful undertaking of their teaching role, and engage in quality learning and teaching practices at Federation. The ‘checklist of checklists’ highlights the completion of corporate induction, campus induction, school induction, learning and teaching induction (CAD) and ongoing school supports in the first six months of employment. It is recommended that the relevant document, and those listed under corporate induction, are to be completed, signed and forwarded to the relevant personnel.
To complete this form online, please view these checklists in Google Chrome. You can also save these to your computer.