To maximise the effectiveness of your message, work through the Writing Check-list (pdf, 272kb).
- Do I know who my target audience is?
- Have I chosen the best method to communicate with them?
- Is there a clear, single purpose to my message?
- Have I thought about the benefits to my audience?
- Will the audience know what I want them to do or understand?
- Is my subject line engaging and descriptive?
- Is my message logically structured with the important information at the top?
- Have I told the reader everything they need to know?
- Have I told them how to find more information?
- Have I used clear and simple language?
- Is my message positive and encouraging?
- Have I reviewed my writing using the 'Writing Toolkit'?
- Have I tested my message or asked for feedback?
- Have I rewritten my message if necessary?
- Has my message been thoroughly proofread?
Design and layout