Adding the Microsoft Authenticator app method
The app is a handy method as it allows you to authenticate even if you're in a situation where don't have internet access or the ability to receive text messages.
After your activation date, you will receive a 'More information required' alert when accessing Microsoft 365 apps. You will need access to both a computer and a smart device to add this method.
Select the blue Next button to continue, then follow these steps.
- Download the app from the App Store or Google Play to your mobile device
- On your computer select Next
The next steps are completed on the Microsoft Authenticator app and will use the QR code on your computer.
- Open the Microsoft Authenticator app on your mobile device, select Allow notifications (if prompted) and choose to add new Work or school account.
- Select Scan QR Code when prompted. You can also find the Scan a QR code option in Credentials on the bottom right of the app.
- If you receive a prompt to allow the app to access your camera (iOS) or to take pictures and record video (Android), you must select Allow.
- Focus the camera over the QR code square on your computer. The app will automatically pair itself to your account.
- A notification will be sent to the Microsoft Authenticator app on your mobile device to test your account. Click Approve.
The final steps are completed on your computer
- Select Next
- Your setup is now complete. Select Done to finalise and continue signing in.
Having trouble? Follow along with how-to video below or use our detailed set-up instructions, including screenshots.