HELP loans and VET Student Loans

Find out about HELP loans and VET Student Loans, including eligibility and how to apply.

What is a student loan?

A HELP Loan or VET Student Loan (VSL) is an Australian Government loan that allows you to defer part or all of the cost of your studies. If you are eligible and have an approved HELP loan or VSL, your fees will automatically defer to your loan shortly after each census date. You begin to pay your loan back through the tax system once you earn above the compulsory repayment threshold or you can make voluntary repayments to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) at any time.

Am I eligible?

Your eligibility depends on criteria such as your citizenship status, and whether you're studying an undergraduate, postgraduate or vocational education unit. To find out what government assistance is be available to you visit Study Assist.

If you are an Australian Permanent Resident (Non-Humanitarian Visa holder) and/or a New Zealand citizen, you can find out about your eligibility on the Study Assist non-Australian citizens page.

If you are a New Zealand citizen on a Special Category Visa (SCV), you may be eligible for a HELP loan or VET Student Loan. Visit our New Zealand citizen HELP eligibility page for further information on the long-term residency requirements.

International students are not eligible to access a HELP loan or VET Student Loan.

How do I apply for a loan?

To find out further information select a type of loan from below.

HECS-HELP loan to cover Commonwealth supported place (CSP) student contribution amounts

FEE-HELP loan to cover Full Fee-Paying Place tuition

SA-HELP loan to cover Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF)

OS-HELP loan to cover study abroad or exchange course expenses

VET Student Loan to help pay tuition fees for approved TAFE units