Enrol - New students

Online enrolment opening dates

You can enrol into your courses from the following dates:

Higher education students TAFE students
2022 enrolments currently open

2023 enrolments will be open from 17 October 2022.

Your program coordinator will contact you when you are able to enrol.

Enrolling online

After you've accepted your offer, you can enrol online. Follow the steps below to get on your way:

Step 1: Complete your enrolment check-list

Your enrolment checklist is accessed from your 'my Student Centre' homepage. Select the 'Tasks & Holds' tile and then your 'To Do List' to begin.

For step-by-step instructions on how to complete your checklist, download one of our guides:

Your Enrolment Checklists must be completed before you can enrol into your classes.

Step 2: Locate your program structure

Note: We're updating our program structures to match our new Institutes and some may be temporarily unavailable. If you need help enrolling you can request a personal study plan through the Enrolment and Application Portal.

Locate your program structure via discipline below. If you have applied for credit towards your program you will receive alternate enrolment advice once your credit application has been finalised.

Federation TAFE

TAFE students will be provided with a copy of their program structure by their program coordinator.

Step 3: Understand what you are permitted to enrol in

Important note: You can only enrol into courses for which you have met, or are enrolled to meet, the course requirements (i.e. prerequisites, co-requisites, etc).

  • course prerequisite, co-requisite and/or exclusion information will be displayed under the 'Course Information' section.
  • if you do not meet the course requirements you will not be able to enrol into the class.
  • some courses, such as project courses or industry placement courses, also require approval from your School before you can enrol in them. This is noted in the course information section and will list who to contact to obtain approval.

Step 4: Enrol in to your courses


Once you have accepted your offer and completed your enrolment checklist you will have access to enrol in to your courses  online:

View our Enrolment Tutorial video (right) or download our guide to assist you in enrolling online:

If you are prevented from enrolling online please contact us on 1800 FED UNI (1800 333 864) to discuss other options available to you.

Step 5: Plan and allocate your timetable

After you enrol, you’ll need to plan your class timetable and allocate to your selected class times in mySchedule.


TAFE students will be provided with a timetable and a copy of their training plan by their program coordinator.

Step 6: Organise your student ID card

Your student ID card is your key to the University's services and facilities.

Find out more about organising your student ID card.

Enrolment assistance

If you are having trouble enrolling online, please see the below FAQs.


How do I enrol?  

Enrol in your subjects at a course level through my Student Centre then select your timetable through MySchedule. Please refer to the ‘Enrol in your courses’ step above.

What do I enrol into? 

For new students without credit and continuing students following the standard progression, refer to step 2 locate your program structure above.

For all other students, refer to your personalised study plan. If you require an updated study plan, please contact us.

I have electives to study; how do I choose them? 

Some schools have electives within their program structures and some have a separate list which can be found in the program information/program structures section for your School. If you cannot find this list or are unsure what you can study, please contact us.

How do I know whether a course is first, second or third year? 

Refer to the first number in the course code. If the first number is a 1, e.g. SCBIO1020, this is an introductory level course and typically taken in first year . If the first number is a 2, e.g. BUMKT2004, this is an intermediate level course and typically taken in second year. If the number is a 3, e.g. NURBN3030, this is an advanced level course and typically taken in third year.

Courses where the first number begins with a 4 or higher are not eligible to be enrolled in by undergraduate students, unless specifically in your program structure.

Many programs have rules regarding the maximum number of first-year courses and minimum number of third-year courses, so please ensure you refer to your program structure for any rules.

Do I only enrol for Semester 1?

No - it is vital to enrol into the whole year so we can plan timetables and staffing accordingly.

What do I enrol into if I want to study part time? 

Some programs have a part-time structure available on the Institute enrolment page. For other programs, contact us.

I’m an international student and want to reduce my study load? 

Contact International Compliance at CUP@federation.edu.au for permission.

What if I wish to take a break from my studies? 

To take leave of studies or withdraw, visit here.

How can I confirm I have enrolled into my subjects? 

You can view your classes in the Class Schedule tile in my Student Centre, and select the “By Class” tab and untick “Dropped Classes” if applicable.

How do I apply for credit? 

Please complete the credit transfer application form and upload to the enquiry portal. Credit applications and all supporting documents must be received by the end of Week 2 of your first semester. We recommend enrolling into the first year of courses while you are awaiting the credit outcome.


When does timetabling open and close?

For semester 1, trimester 1 and winter, you can view the timetable and start planning from 10  January 2022 and you will be able to select your classes from 17 January 2022.

For the second half of 2022, you will be able to select your classes from May/June. Dates will be confirmed closer to this time.

Please refer to Important dates to view the last date to add classes for each semester.

How do I get the best possible timetable?

MySchedule will operate on a first come first serve basis, and the earlier you log in the more timetable options that will be available for you to select from.

Why do I have to wait for my timetable?

This new system puts us in line with other universities and will allow us to plan our classes with more accuracy. Releasing timetables closer to semester commencing means there is less chance of last-minute changes.

View further resources >.

USI (Unique Student Identifier)

What is a USI?

Your USI (Unique Student Identifier) is your individual education number for life. It also creates an online record of your Australian training achievements.

You need a USI if you are:

  • Undertaking TAFE Nationally Recognised Training
  • a higher education student seeking Commonwealth financial assistance (eg a HECS-HELP loan)
  • a higher education student graduating in 2023 or beyond.

All new and continuing students need to provide Federation University with their USI when you enrol for 2022. If you are studying offshore you do not require a USI.

Create a USI (if you do not already have one) before or straight after you have applied for a Federation University course.

You will need to enter your USI when completing your enrolment checklist once you have accepted your offer into a new course. If you commenced pre-2021 you will also need to enter a USI when completing your checklist.

Currently only recognised VET study completed since 2015 is included on a USI transcript. It does not include any higher education study/qualifications.

How do I create a USI?

It only takes a few minutes to create online and you will get an email from the Victorian Government confirming your number.

Your USI is your individual education number for life. If you think you may have a USI from previous study (if you have completed any training since 2015), please visit Find your USI website.

To create a USI you will need one of the following forms of ID:

  • Australian passport
  • Non-Australian Passport (with Australian visa)
  • Australian birth certificate
  • Australian driver's licence
  • Medicare card
  • Certificate of registration by decent
  • Centrelink concession cards
  • Citizenship certificate
  • ImmiCard.

It is important to know that the name you use when creating your USI must be identical to the name you have used when applying for a Federation University program. This includes your first, middle and surname. An easy way to ensure that you have the identical name in both applications is to use the same form of identification eg: passport. If you are required to change your legal name with the university, please submit the Amend your personal details form via FRED or your partner institution.

Create your USI

For more information regarding the USI please visit Get a USI | Unique Student Identifier

Information regarding USIs for international students

If you are an international student, you will require a USI if you are studying in Australia.

To apply for a USI, you must land in Australia and pass through customs. You will be able to use your passport and student visa as proof of identification.

International students studying offshore are not required to have a USI. When completing your checklist, please contact Student HQ via FRED to bypass the USI.

For more information regarding international students and USI requirements view USI website.


Why can’t I submit my USI in my enrolment checklist?
Students require a Unique Student Identifier (USI) to undertake VET or Higher Education study in Australia.

You will receive an error message if your details with the Australian Government do not match your details with Federation University.

If you need to change your details, log in to my Student Centre and update your personal details.

If you are still having trouble, contact us.

Why aren’t my classes aren’t showing up in Moodle?
Moodle shells will be available 1 week prior to semester commencing.

No options are coming up when I search for a subject in class search?
Ensure you have selected the correct semester.

When entering the course code, put a space between the letters and numbers, e.g. EDBED1013 will be entered as EDBED 1013.

I can search for subjects but I can’t select any?
Please contact us for assistance.

An error message has appeared, what do I do?
Check you meet the pre-requisites for the course you are trying to enrol in.

Check if you are enrolling in a course that has a co-requisite – this is listed in your program structure. You will need to add both the courses to your shopping cart and then finalise your enrolment for them at the same time.

Check you are not trying to enrol at another campus (you should have a filter for your campus already at the top of the screen) – students are unable to enrol at other locations. If there is a course you wish to study that is offered at another location, please contact us to see if you are eligible.

If you're still having trouble enrolling, Student HQ is here to help.

  • log an enquiry to ask your questions any time
  • call us on 1800 FED UNI (1800 333 864), Monday to Friday, 9 am–5 pm.

Further information

Phone : 1800 333 864
Online : Enquiry portal (FRED)