Careers and employability
The Careers and Employability team prepare domestic and international Federation University students for part-time and professional employment opportunities regionally, nationally and globally.
Our services are:
- Available to both domestic and international students
Do you know what skills employers are seeking right now? Do you know what skills you have and how to write about them in your resume? Do you know how to find job openings in areas relevant to your degree?
We do. Let us share our knowledge with you.
Thirty-minute confidential appointments are available for you to discuss a range of career issues including:
- What job do I actually want?
- Is this degree the right one for me?
- How do I get a job - search strategies?
- What do I need to do to make myself more likely to get a job?
- How do I write my cover letter, resume and key selection criteria?
- How do I answer interview questions well?
- What employers are hiring people in my degree area?
- What range of jobs can I get with this degree?
Please note: due to COVID all appointments will be held by phone or on Microsoft Teams.
Appointments with a career counsellor can be made by logging into Edge.
Find out about Edge and how to use it.
EDGE is our online system where you can book appointments, register for events and apply for work.
We recommend you ask the Careers and Employability team to look over your resume and cover letter.
Send the team an email with your name and student number and attach your resume and cover letter (as a Word document). We will send it back to you with detailed feedback.
Our webinars develop your career awareness and job-hunting skills. Attending webinars allows you to ask questions and have them answered immediately.
Webinar topics include:
- Writing stand out job applications.
- Blitzing job interviews.
- Jobs you can get with your degree.
- Graduate programs and how to apply.
- Creating a brilliant LinkedIn profile.
We also have webinars specifically targeted to:
- Research students.
- International students.
- Students with disabilities.
See our Careers and Employability Webinars flyer (pdf, 428kb) for the full range of semester 1 webinars
To register for a webinar, take a look at the 'Events' section on Edge.
All our webinars are recorded so you can watch them again and again.
The Career Accelerate Program (CAP) is a FREE, fully online, self-paced Moodle course that provides you with the opportunity to develop the skills and knowledge to gain a placement or employment.
You can take the whole program or pick and choose the topics you want when you need them.
CAP topics include:
- Writing job applications - cover letter, resumes, key selection criteria.
- Improving job interview performance.
- Developing your unique personal brand and networking.
- Understanding workplace culture and appropriate business communication.
- Researching career and industry options for your course.
- Understanding workplace rights and responsibilities.
For more information or if you have difficulties self-enrolling, please contact the careers and Employability team via email: email@example.com.
The Federation Advantage program allows recognition for the co-curricular activities and opportunities you participate in during your time at Federation University. If you take part, you will be eligible for the Federation Advantage Award.
The Mentor Advantage program provides an opportunity for students to connect with people working in industry. You can receive ongoing mentoring from these industry professionals.
Students are connected to Mentors via the Careers team, based on suitability and goals.
We have created a range of information sheets offering you up to date information around:
- How to write an excellent resume.
- What to put in your cover letter.
- Questions to practice before taking that interview.
- How to find part-time and casual work.
All information sheets are available on the Edge platform, simply login, click on 'Resources' and from the drop-down menu, select 'Document Library'.
We have developed a range of practice interviews for you to try out in your own time. You will:
- Be asked targeted, discipline-specific questions in our pre-recorded videos.
- Record your answers in real-time and review them.
- Request feedback once completed (optional).
You can find these mock interviews by logging on to the Edge platform, click on 'Resources' and from the drop-down menu, select 'Mock Interviews'.
If you're looking for employment, there are a range of ways we can help. Many employers advertise a range of jobs through the university and you can find these opportunities by logging in to Edge and clicking on the 'Jobs' section.
In addition, there are a range of student leadership roles available including:
Volunteering is a great way to gain experience and give back to your community. Our team can help you find relevant and exciting volunteer opportunities with a range of organisations. Other benefits of volunteering include:
- Make new friends.
- Develop industry-specific skills and knowledge.
- Build your confidence.
- Be rewarded for your efforts.
Many volunteering opportunities can also earn points towards the Federation Advantage program.
There are many ways you can build your skills and improve your employability, including:
We all know that landing that first “real” job after graduation from TAFE or Uni can be challenging. Having a disability can make it more difficult for a range of complex reasons – and the statistics certainly reflect this.
Federation University has a range of services to support students with disabilities and medical conditions, including partnerships with external organisations, to assist you with your career journey.
|Office 508, |
333 Ann St,
Brisbane City, QLD 4000
|Office G76, Building 902|
100 Clyde Rd,
Berwick VIC, 3806
|Office 113, Building 3N|
Churchill VIC, 3842
|Room 119, U Building|
Mt Helen VIC, 3350