Photo: Mt Helen Writing Space
Location and opening hours
Get drop-in study support for your assignments from a Learning Skills Adviser. Writing Space is only available at:
- Mt Helen Library: Mon - Thurs 12pm -2pm
- Berwick Library: Mon -Thurs 11am - 1pm
- Gippsland - Not operating until further notice
You can also access LSA Chat, our online drop-in service, via this link Monday to Friday 12:00pm – 2:00pm.
Otherwise, you can book a session with a Learning Skills Adviser (LSA) via EDGE.
This drop-in space is set up to provide all students with guidance through whatever stage of the writing process is relevant for your assignment. The general aim is to assist you so that you can develop the skills and confidence to:
- analyse assignment questions and criteria
- evaluate and organise sources
- develop plans/outlines
- write the first draft
- revise and edit to produce a polished final draft
- develop effective study skills
The Writing Space is available to students to work alone or in groups. In one-to-one sessions and small group work, LSA s and SALs will help you to develop drafts of written assignments, taking into account:
- the assignment topic
- assignment structure and paragraph organisation
- argument development
- strength of evidence
- critical thinking
- synthesising of source material
- clarity of written expression
- formatting references
- grammar, punctuation or spelling
Please note: We do not proofread, edit or 'fix' assignments. If more intensive support is required, you can be referred to a LSA for a private session.
What you should bring to the Writing Space
You can bring a completed assignment for review, a first draft, an assignment plan, some jotted notes, or even initial thoughts on an assignment. You are also encouraged to bring a copy of the assignment question, assignment directions and criteria and any relevant reading materials.