Critical incident 24/07/21
Victorian campuses are closed until 11:59pm Tuesday 27 July Click here for more information.

Information for staff

Counselling for staff

Staff can seek counselling services for personal or work-related matters from the Employee Assistance Program (EAP). The EAP is an independent support service engaged by the University to assist employees to maintain good health and well-being and is available to all staff members of the University as well as their immediate families.

Referring students to counselling

Most students come to counselling for the first time because a teacher has suggested it. So, teachers, lecturers and other staff play an essential role in providing the bridge to counselling.

If a student is talking to you about psychological issues and your gut feeling is "this is too much" or you don't have the resources to deal with it, this is a good time to refer a student to counselling. If a student is having a difficult time, such as with their finances, accommodation, feeling stuck, floundering, feeling overwhelmed, trying to make an important decision, or having a conflict with someone, these can all be good occasions to refer to counselling.

If you're not sure about referring a student, you can contact the counselling service yourself and discuss the matter confidentially. If you're going to refer a student yourself, make sure to get their consent to speak to Counselling on their behalf first.

Here are some tips on how to handle an ACE referral:

A: Acknowledge their distressC: Counselling informationE: Encourage them to pursue counselling
'What is happening at home sounds really distressing.'
'That's a lot to deal with.'
'I am wondering if it might be helpful to talk this through with a counsellor here?'
'The University has a counselling service which is free and confidential.'
If the person seems open to hearing more about counselling:
'Most people who go to see them say that it has been helpful.'
'They can give you the time and expert attention that you deserve.'
'Would you like me to give them a call and see if they're around at the moment, or give you their number to call?'

Mental health training

Our counselling team offer accredited Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) Training. For more information, contact our training coordinator.