Types of student placement agreements
There are five main types of placement agreements for students in use at Federation University which support the mandatory requirements for all students completing any type of Work Integrated Learning as part of their Program or course-work at Federation University. These may take the form of:
- an overarching long term agreement between FedUni and an ongoing external provider, or
- one of four standard-form contracts prepared by the FedUni Legal Office.
The various student placement agreements form part of the requirements of the Work Based Training and Practical Placement Requirements Policy and Procedures
Work Based Training and Practical Placement Requirements Policy (Policy Code: LT1711). Currently under review
Completion of the essential paperwork provides the following information.
Duty of care
- To take reasonable care to minimise foreseeable risks to students.
- Clearly defined obligations for University and Placement Providers.
- Contractually based obligations to supervise, ensure health and safety standards and maintain appropriate records etc.
- Students are provided with a safe and well supervised workplace.
- FedUni remains responsible for the overall control and discipline of the student.
- Students will act as an ambassador for the University.
- All parties to comply with current privacy laws in respect to all areas related to the placement (Clause 14).
- Student consents to photographs, footage and testimonials (Clause 9).
- Student will maintain organisation confidential information (Clause 5.3(b).
- Ensuring organisations have appropriate coverage to protect students and University in the event of a claim
- Roles and obligations are clearly set out.
- Each party indemnifies other parties for loss and damage resulting from own negligence.
- No indemnity for loss and damage caused by the negligence of another party.
- Liability is limited to level of insurance coverage
Standard contract terms
- Intellectual property
- What happens in the event of a dispute?
- How can the agreement be terminated?
- No employment relationship.
- Governed by law of the State of Victoria.
- Severability and waiver of terms.
Which of the standard agreements do I need?
|Student is...||Signature Parties...||Agreement|
|Going on multiple placements throughout their program|
|Student Placement Agreement (PDF, 85kb)|
|Doing a 'one-off' placement||FedUni|
|Single Placement Agreement (PDF, 114kb)|
|Overseas Placement Agreement (PDF, 114kb)|
|FedUni making an agreement with a new provider, or no agreement exists||FedUni Organisation||Organisation Placement Agreement (PDF, 105kb)|
All students who are enrolled in a program of study which has mandatory work integrated learning placements AND all students who choose to complete a Work Integrated Learning option within their program of study MUST complete the Student Placement Agreement and other mandatory documents as listed in inplace.
The completed and signed Student Placement Agreement between the student and FedUni must be uploaded to your personal student profile on the InPlace student placement system.
Overarching Student Placement Agreement
If FedUni has an ongoing relationship with an external provider who provides multiple, regular and consistent placements for FedUni students, the WIL coordinator should request an overarching student placement agreement. All overarching agreements must be requested through the Legal Office using a document signing request form. Ongoing clinical placements for FedUni students with external Health Providers in the public health sector and the private health sector follow the student placement agreement guidelines provided by the Department of Health and Human Services, Victoria.
If you require legal services, please complete the request for legal services form (pdf, 243kb).
The university is required to periodically review and renew overarching Student Placement Agreements which are tailored to the meet the specific requirements of an external placement provider or when a Student Placement Agreement is initiated by an external placement provider. These Student Placement Agreements are required for specific WIL requirements such as ongoing arrangements for clinical placements across a number of disciplines and programs.
Storage of agreements
The completed and signed Student Placement Agreement between the student and FedUni must be uploaded by the student to their personal student profile on the InPlace student placement system.
The Single Placement Agreement must be uploaded to InPlace for access and use by university staff. This agreement is uploaded by Placement Administrators against the individual placement.
Scanned copies of the Organisational Placement Agreements must be uploaded to InPlace for access and use by university staff.
All original copies of the fully executed Organisational Placement Agreement, Single Placement Agreement and Overseas Placement Agreement must be stored with the Federation University Legal Office.