Here you can find general information on research funding opportunities and where to get started.
What is the definition of research?
Last updated 26/02/2018
Federation University Australia recognises the Australian Government's Higher Education Research Data Collection (HERDC) definition of research as follows:
‘creative and systematic work undertaken in order to increase the stock of knowledge – including knowledge of humankind, culture and society – and to devise new applications of available knowledge.’
This HERDC definition of research has recently been updated for consistency with the OECD definition of research and experimental development (R&D) set out in the 2015 Frascati Manual.
The collection of research data and income in the annual HERDC return is dependent on several factors including but not limited to:
- The original source of income;
- project activities and budget;
- contractual obligations and restrictions of the project.
For further information on the classification of research income, please refer to section 4 of the HERDC Specifications.
For advice on whether or not your planned project and/or funding application fits within the Australian Government HERDC specifications, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org in the early stages of planning.
All research projects must be processed through the Research Funding Team section of Research Services.
- An intuitive interface to make browsing for funding as simple as checking your email.
- Shared resources, allowing you to benefit from saved searches and folders of bookmarked items created for you by your administrators.
- Ability to set up targeted email alerts on funding opportunities within your area of research interest
- Powerful search tools to help you find exactly the funding opportunities that interest you.
- Short (1-2 Minute) video introductions
- Quick Start and User Guides (PDF)
- More information and help resources are available at https://knowledge.exlibrisgroup.com/Research_Professional
- Tina D'Urbano - Ph: (03) 5122 6872
- Jane Eltringham - Ph: (03) 5327 6735
- Do you have an up to date RMS account? All ARC proposals are submitted through the online RMS portal.
- What are your current time commitments and how will an ARC project fit into your schedule?
- Have you read the relevant scheme guidelines, Instructions to Applicants (ITAs) and other documentation? This information can be found on via GrantConnect.
- What support is available through your school or centre?
- Do you have an up to date RGMS account? All NHMRC proposals are submitted through the online RGMS portal.
- What are your current time commitments and how will an NHMRC project fit into your schedule?
- Have you read the relevant scheme Guidelines, Instructions to Applicants (ITAs) and other documentation? This information can be found via GrantConnect.
- What support is available through your school/centre?
Process for CRC Bids
Pre-award CRC Programme bid
- Internal school/centre processes (i.e., researcher(s) and ADR discuss opportunity and go through any relevant school approvals)
- Lead FedUni Project Manager/Chief Investigator/Researcher (Lead CI) notifies the Research Funding Team (RFT) at email@example.com of their intentions to participate in a CRC bid and confirms school support.
- No internal Research Funding paperwork is required at this stage
- The Lead CI liaises with RFT as required throughout the application process.
- Any DIIS, other HEP or funding body paperwork that requires institutional approval and/or sign off for a CRC bid must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance.
- RFT will arrange DVCRI, VC or COO sign off as required.
- RFT works with Lead CI and other relevant parties to assist with the bid submission where required.
Post-award CRC Programme bid
- Lead CI notifies RFT of award of CRC or vice-versa
- RFT coordinates Participant Agreement negotiations and sign off for FedUni
- Including liaising with relevant parties ie. Legal Office, DVCRI, School/Centre and Lead CI.
If you would like to enquire about a particular research funding scheme or the general process for all research funding applications, budgets, grants and contracts, please contact the Research Funding Team on email@example.com.