Central Records

The Central Records office is located in the A Annexe on Blizzard Drive (opposite Y Building) at the Mt Helen Campus. Central Records is responsible for University archives and for the provision of advice to Faculties and Business areas regarding the management of the corporate records.

Public records

As a public institution, Federation University Australia is bound by the Public Records Act 1973. Records received or created by University staff are deemed to be Public Records under the Act and staff (including contractors) are required to consistently create, capture, access, store and manage records as part of normal business practice. Corporate records must be handled, stored and disposed of in accordance with all relevant legislation.

Types of records include but are not limited to:

  • course materials, timetables, venue rosters, examination papers, assessment pieces,
  • student information including change of details, HECs forms, enrolment, withdrawal forms,
  • employee information including leave application forms, travel applications, workplace agreements,
  • meeting agendas, minutes and papers,
  • financial information including receipts, invoices, petty cash records, ledgers, grant submissions and
  • external correspondence received by a Faculty / Business unit

Records can be in any format, including hard copy and electronic.

Hard copy records should be placed on hard copy files, and securely stored within the Faculty or business unit. Inactive files should be transferred to the University's secure off-site storage facility once no longer required for daily business activities.

Electronic records must be captured in an approved corporate business system. Records that are created by an approved corporate business system should be stored in that system - where practical. Records that are not created and / or stored in an approved business system must be stored in the corporate Records Management System, ECM.

Online training

Staff wishing to access the training sooner, can self-enrol online.

The training takes approximately 20 minutes and includes a short quiz at the end to test a participant's knowledge.

Contact Student Systems and Processes for the enrolment key.

Retention and disposal of University records


Hard copy records no longer required for normal business activities must be appraised by Central Records who will determine if they are to be transferred to off-site storage, PROV, or if they can be disposed of under a relevant RDA or NAP.

Hard copy records no longer required for daily business activity that have not met the requirements for disposal should be transferred to the University's off-site archive facility via Central Records. This facility has been assessed as being compliant with the Storage Standard (PROS 11/01) issued by PROV and ensures the preservation and security of the records until such time as they are ready for disposal or permanent transfer to PROV (for historically significant records).

Storage at other non-University owned off-site storage facilities is not permitted.


University records must only be disposed of in accordance with an applicable Retention and Disposal Authority (RDA) issued by the Public Records Office of Victoria (PROV).

For the University, these are:

PROS 16/07 – General Retention & Disposal Authority for the Records of the Higher and Further Education Functions.

PROS 07/01 – General Retention & Disposal Authority for Records of Common Administrative Functions.

University records cannot be disposed of if:

  • they are identified as having historical significance and / or are classed as a permanent record by PROV;
  • they have not met the minimum retention time-frame as specified in the applicable RDA;
  • it is known that the records may likely to be required in evidence, either now or in the future – regardless if a valid RDA has been issued by PROV;
  • there has been an embargo placed on the disposal of records either by the University or PROV – regardless if a valid RDA has been issued by PROV;
  • it is identified that there is still a business requirement for the records to be retained.

Electronic records undertake the same disposal authorisation process as hard copy records.

DO NOT engage in records disposal without first consulting Central Records staff to ensure a complete understanding of the process.

University committees

The records of most University committees (minutes, agendas and papers) are considered to be permanent records of the University. The secretary or executive officer is responsible for the maintenance of these records and the eventual transfer to the university archives through Central Records.

Guides, advice, standards and records authorities

The PROV issues guidelines, advice, standards and records authorities to assist institutions in the management and disposal of public records. They are available at the PROV website


To contact Central Records email centralrecords@federation.edu.au