SMB is established
Tertiary education at Ballarat began with the establishment of the School of Mines in 1870, making it Australia's third oldest tertiary institution. Its initial aim was the education of miners.
Ballarat School of Mines from Lydiard Street. The former Wesley Church is on the left of the photo. Beside it is the New Classrooms (now Administration Building), and the former Ballarat Circuit Court which was demolished in 1912 and replaced the Ballarat Technical Art School building.
Federation University Historical Collection