130 Victoria Street Ballarat
Originally named "Ellaville" by its original owner Joseph Phillips, 130 Victoria Street was designed by the firm James and Piper. Edward James oversaw the erection of a number of bank buildings in Ballarat, including the London Chartered Bank. When joined by William Piper in 1875 they designed the Masonic Hall, Manchester Unity Hall, Trades Hall, Lester's Hotel, Rowland's Aerated Water Factory, the Palace Hotel, and the Ballarat Cemetery rotundas.
Changing hands in 1924, the building at 130 Victoria Street continued as a family home until it was sold to the Education Department sometime after 1945. It was initially used as a hostel for young ladies, and later became a residence for the Ballarat Teachers' College. When the Ballarat Institute of Advanced Education (BIAE) and the Ballarat Teachers' College (BTC) merged in 1976, the Victoria Street residence became available for use by the Ballarat School of Mines (SMB), although still owned by the Education Department. After development of the site in 1990 the residential complex consisted as a two-story house and adjoining units possible of accommodating 42 students.
Today, 130 Victoria Street is used as a student residential facility attached to Federation University Australia. It houses 17 TAFE sector students in single and twin share bedrooms. Bathroom, laundry, common areas and kitchen facilities are shared. The 12 motel style units adjacent to the house can accommodate up to three students in each unit. They are primarily used for short term guests that come to Ballarat for block mode TAFE studies.
- 1888 - Erected by Joseph Phillips by architects James and Piper, Ballarat.
- 1907 - Joseph Phillips died at his residence. His widow, Susan, continued living there until her death in 1923.
- 1924 - 130 Victoria St was purchased by Walter Davis, owner of the famous Walter Davis store of Bridge St Ballarat.
- c1946 -The building was sold to the Education Department to be used as a hostel for young ladies.
- 1990 - Developments to 128 and 130 Victoria Street were made, with new motel style units being built in between the two properties. 1991 - On 28 June the SMB Student Residential Complex was opened by the Hon. Barry Pullen, MLC, Minister for Education and training.
Residents of 130 Victoria Street ready for the Ballarat Teachers' College Ball. Lecturer Mavis Canty is in the front 5th from the left. (Cat. No. 2134) If you are able to name anyone else in the photograph please email email@example.com
130 Victoria Street, watercolour by Paul McKinnon. If you can assist us with more information on the artist Paul McKinnon, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Programme from the opening of the student Accommodation Complex, 1991