Soma Pillay - extended research
Senior Lecturer, |
- Public Sector Governance
- Cross Cultural Management
Public service ethics, governance from the perspective of developing countries, application of institutional theory to governance matters, cross cultural management.
Honours research supervisions
1.Eaves, Carolyn. 2015, Investigating factors affecting growth of small enterprises. Federation University Australia
2.Vedran, V. 2009, The Work Family Interface: Cross cultural experiences. Swinburne University of Technology
3.Pascal, A. 2005, What about us? Human resource management and the changing landscape at Alstom Melbourne Transport Limited. A case analysis. Swinburne University of Technology.
4.Colombo, C. 2005, Expatriation and Culture Shock: The David and Goliath of successful international human resource management. Swinburne University of Technology.
1. Radha, Wagle. Women inclusion in Nepalese Forest Governance, Feminist Institutionalism Perspectives. Monash University
2. Sokro, Evans. 2017 Examining Expatriation Management in Africa. Federation University, Australia
3. Iyathurai, Rahul. 2017 An Inquiry into the Australian Skilled Migration Program and the Cultural influences on Skill Shortages, Federation University, Australia.
4. Phong, Nguyen.2016 The Business of Privatization, Examining Change Management in Vietnam, Monash University
5. Chris Bilney.2015 A Critical Analysis of Developments in Organisations Underlying the Transformation of Ownership Structures, with Specific Attention to State-Owned Structures, Swinburne University of Technology
6. Bharat Saraf.2013 Legal Aspects of jurisdiction in e-commerce. Monash University.
7. Liu, L. 2009, Building an Organisational Learning Architecture for Strategic Renewal: An Auto ethnography of Action Learning, Faculty of Business and Enterprise, Swinburne University of Technology
8. Shrivastava, S. 2008, Towards a New Taxonomy of Managerial Competence: An Open Systems Perspective, Faculty of Business and Enterprise, Swinburne University of Technology.
2019 Sokro. & Pillay, S. Host country nationals’ attitudes, social support and willingness to work with expatriates, Global Business Review, https://doi.org/10.1177/0972150919857012
2018 Pillay, S., Ramplall, N., Dorasamy. & Meyer, Predictors of Whistleblowing Intentions-An Analysis of Multi-Level Variables, Administration and Society, 50(2), 186-216.
2017 Abhayawansa, S, Bowden. & Pillay, S. Students’ conceptions of learning in the context of an accounting degree, Accounting Education, 26(3), 213-241.
2017 Pillay, S., Reddy P.S. & Morgan, D. “Institutional Isomorphism and whistleblowing intentions in public sector institutions. Public Management Review, 19(4), 423-442.
2016 Wagle, R., Pillay, S. & Wright, Examining Nepalese Forestry Governance from Gender perspectives. International Journal of Public Administration, 40(3), 205-225.
2015 Pillay, S. and James, R. An Examination of Inter-cultural Competency through Social Exchange Theory. International Journal Teaching Learning Higher Education. 27(3), 320-329
2014 Pillay.S.& Abhayawansa, S. Work-family balance -Perspectives from Higher Education, Higher Education, the international journal of higher education research, 68(5), 669-690. ISSN 0018-1560, 1573-174X.
2014 Pillay, S.and James, R. The Pains and Gains of Blended Learning-Social Constructivist Perspectives. Education + Training, 56(4), 254-270
2014 Pillay, S.and Kluvers, R.2014, An Institutional Theory Perspective on Corruption -The Case of a Developing Democracy, Financial Accountability & Management, 30(1),95-119.
2013 Pillay, S. and James, R. 2013, Gaming across Cultures, Education + Training, 55(1), 7-22.
2013 Pillay, S., Kluvers, R., Vranic, V., and Abhayawansa, S. 2013, An exploratory study into work family balance within the Australian higher education sector, Higher Education Research and Development.32(2),228-243.
2012 Abhayawansa, S.; Tempone, I. & Pillay, S.2012, Impact of Entry Mode on Students' Approaches to Learning: A Study of Accounting Students, Accounting Education: An International Journal, 21(4), pp. 341-361.
2012 Pillay, S., Vranic, V., and Dorasamy, N. 2012, Exploring whistle blowing intentions: A quantitative Study, African Journal of Business Management, 6(7), pp.2529-2548.
2011 Dorasamy, N. and Pillay, S. 2011, ‘Whistle blowing: Impediments to effective implementation within the South African public sector’, Corporate Ownership and Control, 8(3), pp.297-304.
2011 Samaratunge, R. and Pillay, S. 2011, ‘Governance in Developing Countries, South Africa and Sri Lanka compared’, International Journal of Public Administration, 34(6), pp.389-398. ERA B
2011 Annakis, J., Lobo, T., and Pillay, S. 2011, ‘Exploring predictors of job satisfaction within call centres: The case of Australia’, Corporate Ownership and Control, 8(3), pp.376-395. ERA B
2011 Dorasamy, N. and Pillay, S. 2011, ‘Institutionalising a value enacted dominant organisational culture: An impetus for whistle blowing’, Journal of Corporate Ownership and Control, 8(3), pp.297-304. ERA B
2011 Pillay, S. and Dorasamy, N. 2011, Systemic factors moderating effective whistle blowing: An exploratory study into a public service organization, African Journal of Business Management, 5(22), pp. 9429-9439. ISI 1.5- 2011.
2011 Annakis, J., Lobo. T., and Pillay, S. 2011, Exploring monitoring, work environment and flexibility as predictors of job satisfaction within Australian Call Centres, International Journal of Business and Management, 6(8), pp75-93. ERA C
2010 Pillay, S. and Dorasamy, N. 2010, ‘Linking Culture with Corruption’, International Journal of Cross Cultural Management, 10(3), pp.363-377. ERA-B
2010 Dorasamy, N. and Pillay, S. 2010, ‘Advocating service learning for developing citizenship in university students in South Africa’, Industry and Higher Education, 24(4), 287-296. ABDC-C
2009 Kluvers, R. and Pillay, S. 2009, ‘Participation in the Budgetary Process in Victorian Local Government’, Australian Journal of Public Administration, 68(2), pp.220-230. ERA-A, ISI 0.590
2009 Dorasamy, N. and Pillay, S. 2009, ‘Addressing learning needs in public management: the value of sustainable partnerships between higher education and public sector institutions in South Africa’, Administratio Publica, 17(3), pp.98-144. ISSN 101 548 33.
2008 Pillay, S. 2008, ‘A Cultural Ecology of NPM’, International Review of Administrative Science, 74(3), pp.373-394. ISI 0.710, ABDC B. FoR 1503.
2004 Pillay, S. 2004, ‘Corruption. The challenge to Good Governance: A South African Perspective’, International Journal of Public Sector Management, 17(7), pp.586-605. ERA-B, FoR 1503.
2004 Pillay, S. 2003, ‘Public Administration and the Future- Modernizing Government through IT’, Journal of Public Administration, Journal of the South African Association of Public Management, 37 (2), pp.103-122. Tier 1: South African Publications Standard, SAPSE
1998 Pillay, S. 1998, ‘Performance Management and Total Quality Management. A response to Personnel Evaluation: An analysis of Culture structure and present arrangements in the South African Public Service’, Journal of Public Administration, South African Institute of Public Administration, 33(4), pp.204-220.
2020 Wagle, R.; Pillay, S. & Wright, W. Feminist Institutionalism and Gendered Bureaucracies, Palgrave, USA
2020 Koerner, C & Pillay, S. Governance and Multiculturalism- The White Elephant of Social Construction & Cultural Identities, Palgrave, USA forthcoming DOI 10.1007/978-3-030-23740-0
2015 Bilney, C. & Pillay, S.2015, Public Sector Organisations and Cultural Change, Palgrave, USA.
2014 Pillay, S.2014, Development Corruption in South Africa, Palgrave, USA.
2012 Nel, P., du Plessis, A., Fazey, M., Erwee, R., Pillay, S., MacKinnon, B. H. ... & Millet, B. Human resource management in Australia and New Zealand. ISBN 9780195575705
2012 Pillay, S. 2012, Organisational Behavior: Resource Book for Instructors, Oxford University Press, Australia. ISBN 9780195577426.
2009 Pillay, S. and Anderson, E. 2009, ‘Some Propositions about National Culture and NPM’ in Globalization: Realities, Challenges and Responses, Sage Publishers, Delhi. ISBN 9788132102465.
Pillay, S. 2012 ‘Self Actualising through the business of motherhood’ in McShane, S., Olekalns, M. and Travaglione, T. Organisational Behaviour on the Pacific Rim, 4th edn, Australia, McGraw. ISBN 9780071016261 Part 2, p245.
Pillay, S.2012 ‘Rio’s approach to well-being at work’ in McShane, S., Olekalns, M. and Travaglione, Organisational Behaviour on the Pacific Rim, 4th edn, Australia, McGraw. ISBN 9780071016261 chapter 4, p102.
Pillay, S.2012 ‘Applying performance practices through the excellence philosophy’ work’ in McShane, S., Olekalns, M, and Travaglione, Organisational Behaviour on the Pacific Rim, 4th edn, Australia, McGraw. ISBN 9780071016261 chapter 6, p175.
Pillay, S. 2012 ‘Adapting for Change the HP way’ in McShane, S., Olekalns, M.and Travaglione, Organisational Behaviour on the Pacific Rim, 4th edn, Australia, McGraw. ISBN 9780071016261 chapter 7, p203.
Pillay, S. 2012 ‘Organisational Structure’, in McShane, S., Olekalns, M. and Travaglione, T. Organisational Behaviour on the Pacific Rim, 4th edn, Australia, McGraw. ISBN 9780071016261 chapter 13, p419.
Pillay, S. 2010 ‘Managing Work, Family and Emotions across Cultures’ in Robbins, S., Judge, T., Millet, M., and Boyle, Organisational Behaviour, 6th edn, Australia, Pearson.
Pillay, S. 2010 ‘Surprise under the Carpet at Northern Sigma’ in Robbins, S., Judge, T., Millet, M., and Boyle 2010, Organisational Behaviour, 6th edn, Australia, Pearson.
Pillay, S. (2019) Examining the Institutionalisation of Ethics, prepared for LaTrobe Community Health Service, Gippsland.
Industry training and facilitation
2019 “Examining the Institutionalisation of Ethics”, Latrobe Community Health Services
2018 “Governance, Inclusion and Diversity Management”, Nepal, Department of Forestry, 3-7 November 2018
2017 RMIT “Empowering African Australian Women-Management Skills”, 19 February 2017
Refereed conference papers
2017 Sokro, E & Pillay, S. ‘Perceived organisational support, expatriate adjustment and assignment outcomes: A study of expatriates in Ghana’, EURAM, 21-24 June 2017, Scotland.
2016 Sokro, E. & Pillay, S.2016 ‘Expatriate adjustment and assignment success: The significance of host country support’, ANZAM, 6-9 December 2016, Brisbane, Australia.
2016 Sokro,E. & Pillay,S.2016 ‘The role of perceived organisational support in expatriate adjustment and assignment success’, ANZAM, 6-9 December 2016,Brisbane,Australia.
2016 Bilney, C.; Pillay, S. & Jones, R. 2016 ‘Learned Helplessness and External Locus of Control’, EURAM, 1-4 June 2016, Paris, France.
2015 Wagle, R.; Pillay, S. & Wright, W.2015 ‘The inclusion of Women in Nepalese Forestry Governance: Perspectives from Feminist Institutionalism’, ANZAM, New Zealand, December 2015.
2014 Bilney, C.; Pillay, S. & Jones, R. 2014 ‘Double Bind in the Public Service: Competing Paradigms in the Australian Public Sector’, ANZAM 2-4 December 2014, Sydney, Australia.
2014 Pillay, S.; Morgan. & Reddy, P.S.2014, ‘Institutional Isomorphism and whistleblowing intentions in public sector institutions’, EURAM 3-7 June 2014, Valencia, Spain.
2013 Pillay, S. and Dorasamy, N. 2013, ‘Work, Family and the Migrant Worker: Anomie Theory Perspectives, EURAM, 26-29 June 2013, Istanbul, Turkey.
2013 Bilney, C. & Pillay, S.2013, ‘Do as we say, not as we do: promoting mission statements and values in the light of public sector reform’, 3rd Annual Australasian Business Ethics Network (ABEN) Conference, 2-3 December 2013, Hobart, Tasmania.
2013 Bilney, C. & Pillay, S.2013, ‘New Public Management, Privatisation and Corporatisation - Effects on ‘street-level’ public servants: Institutional theory perspectives’, ANZAM, 4-6 December 2013, Hobart, Tasmania.
2013 Riaz, S. & Pillay, S. 2013, ‘An Examination of Consistency Theory and Employee Performance through the lenses of SMEs in the United Arab Emirates (U.A.E)’, ANZAM, 4-6 December 2013, Hobart, Tasmania.
2013 Pillay, S. & Abhawayansa, S.2013, ‘Work-family balance in higher education -Cross-Cultural Perspectives of role, work and family’, ANZAM, 4-6 December 2013, Hobart, Tasmania.
2013 Abhayawansa, S. Bowden, M. & Pillay, S. (2013) "Variations in Accounting Students' Conceptions of Learning”, The RMIT Accounting Educators' Conference, 2013.
2012 Pillay, S., Dorasamy, N., Ramphul, N. and Meyer, D. 2012, ‘Exploring barriers, organisational support and demographics as predictors of whistle blowing intentions -an analysis of multi-level variables’, Academy of World Business, Marketing & Management Development Conference, July 16-19, Budapest, Hungary.
2011 Pillay, S., Kluvers, R., Reddy, P.S. 2011,’ "Factors influencing whistle-blowing in South African local government", 25th ANZAM Conference, Christchurch, New Zealand, 7-9 December 2011.
2011 Pillay, S., Abhayawansa, S., and Kluvers, R. 2011, ‘An enquiry into transnational challenges from a work family perspective ‘, International Congress of IIAS, Lausanne, Switzerland, 4-8 July 2011.
2011 Kluvers, R. and Pillay, S. 2011, ‘The Impact of location and Position on Accountability in Local government: An Australian Study’, BAFA Annual Conference, Business School, 12-14 April, Aston.
2010 Samaratunge, R. and Pillay, S. 2010, ‘Governance in Developing countries: The case of Sri Lanka and South Africa – A Systems theory Perspective’, 14th International Research Society for Public Management (IRSPM), Bern, Switzerland, 7-9 April 2010.
2010 Pillay, S., Dorasamy, N., and Dass, M. 2010, ‘A Study of factors affecting effective whistle blowing as a culture contingent process’, Academy of World Business, Marketing and Management Conference, Finland, 12-15 July 2010.
2010 Abhaywansa, S., Tempone, I., and Pillay, S. 2010, ‘Student Approaches to Learning’, AAA International Accounting Section and IAAER Conference, Palm Springs, USA, 28-30 January 2010.
2009 Kluvers, R. and Pillay, S. 2009, ‘Different Views of Accountability’, ANZAM Conference, Melbourne, December 2009.
2009 Pillay, S. and Kluvers, R. 2009, ‘Exploring task and institutional environment in addressing deviant behaviour’, ANZAM,Melbourne, December 2009.
2008 Kluvers, R. and Pillay, S. 2008, ‘Accountability and NPM in Victorian Local Government’, ANZAM Conference, New Zealand, December 2008.
2009 Pillay, S. and Kluvers, R. 2008, ‘Work-Family Interface: An Anomie Theory Perspective’, ANZAM Conference, New Zealand, December 2008.
2007 Pillay, S. and Anderson, E. 2007, ‘A Cultural Ecology of New Public Management’, APROS: Asian Pacific Research in Organizational Studies, New Delhi, India, and 9-12 December 2007. Awarded ‘One of the Best Papers presented in the APROS 12 Colloquium’ held in MDI Gurgaon (Delhi-NCR) in December 2007.
2005 Pillay, S. and Shrivastava, S. 2005, ‘Linking Cultural Dimensions with the Nature of Corruption’, Second Annual Conference of the International Applied Business and Entrepreneurship Association, Kauai.
2005 Pillay, S. 2005, ‘Governance and Corruption: A Case study of South Africa’, Conference hosted by the EURAM, Munich, Germany.
2005 Shrivastava, S., Jones, R., and Pillay, S. 2005, ‘Conceptualising Competence as a Value Creating Fractal’, Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Honolulu.
2004 Pillay, S. 2004, ‘Corruption and Good Governance: An Empirical Analysis’, Conference hosted by BusEco, Monash University, ‘Integrated Governance, Linking up Governance, Business and Civil Society’, Prato, Italy.
2004 Pillay, S. and Teicher, J. 2004, ‘The Humble Email and its Impact on the Public Service’, Conference hosted by the Department of Management, Monash University: ‘Management and Employment for Outcomes’, Caulfield, Melbourne.
Awards and grants
- 2019 “High Commendation for demonstrated track record of successful HDR candidate outcomes and engagement in high quality supervisory practice and research supervision leadership”, Graduate Research School, Federation University Australia.
- 2017 Nominated for VC’s Teaching Excellence
- 2014 Monash University, Gippsland -Golden Apple Award for Excellence in Teaching
- 2013 Monash University BusEco AACSB Accreditation: Nominated to represent the School on the academic panel.
- 2013 Nominated as External Assessor on National Research Foundation Grant Scheme, South Africa, 2013 (equivalent to Australia’s ARC)
- 2013 Research Associate- Durban University of Technology, South Africa.
- 2012 Monash Institute of Graduate Studies (MIGR), Level 1& 2 Accreditation.
- 2011 Swinburne Faculty Teaching Excellence Award:” For designing innovative and engaging pedagogies which influences student learning and engagement in a cross-cultural context”.
- 2011 Swinburne Teaching Commendation -“HBH522-Managing People across Cultures”. Student feedback survey results amongst the top 10 in the Faculty.
- 2019 ‘Public Sector Governance’, DUT Consultancy Grant $1834.94
- 2017 ‘Governance and Multiculturalism’, DUT Consultancy, $8302.35.
- 2015 Pillay, S. “Examining the Institutionalisation of Ethics”, FBS Research Grant, $4000.00
- 2014 Examining Ethics, DUT Consultancy, $1906.00
- 2013 Pillay, S. Governance Matters, Monash BusEco Grant, $2500.
- 2012 Pillay, S. Monash BusEco Research Grant, $10000.00
- 2011 Pillay, S. Introducing Blended Learning and Teaching Methods to extend and enrich the learning experience of management students in a cross-cultural context. Swinburne FBE Teaching and Learning Innovation Grant, $10,000.
- 2011 Pillay, S and Cuganesan, S. Investigating drivers of ethical behaviour, potential risk areas for Department of Transport and perceptions of existing control. Department of Transport and Swinburne University. $15,000.
- 2010 Pillay, S., Abhayawansa, S, and Kluvers, R. Cultures Consequence on Work Life Interface: A Cross Cultural Perspective, Swinburne FBE-RDS Grant, $7500.
- 2010 Pillay, S., Whistle Blowing, Swinburne FBE Seed Grant, $3000.
- 2008 Abhawayansa, S., Tempone, I., and Pillay, S. 2008, Evidence based research to support curriculum development for Higher Education and TAFE in Accounting and Finance, AFAANZ Research Grant, $3595.43.
- 2008 Pillay, S. and Kluvers, R. 2008, Mechanisms of Accountability in Victorian Local Government, Institute of Public Administration, $4000.