The University is committed to protecting and maintaining the privacy, accuracy and security of personal information.
The University is required to comply with the Victorian Information Privacy Act 2000. The Information Privacy Act took effect from 1 September 2001, with individuals being able to lodge complaints with the Office of the Victorian Privacy Commissioner from 1 September 2002.
The objects of the Information Privacy Act are to:
- balance the public interest in the free flow of information with the public interest in respecting privacy and protecting personal information in the public sector; and
- promote the responsible and transparent handling of personal information in the public sector and promote awareness of these practices.
The Information Privacy Act applies to two types of information:
Recorded information or opinion, whether true or not, about an identifiable individual. This includes information from which the identity of the individual can be reasonably ascertained.
Racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of a political association, religious beliefs or affiliations, philosophical beliefs, membership of a professional or trade association, membership of a trade union, sexual preferences or practices, criminal record (that is also personal information).
The University is also required to comply with the Victorian Health Records Act 2001. The objects of the Health Records Act are to:
- require responsible handling of health information in the public and private sectors;
- balance the public interest in protecting the privacy of health information with the public interest in the legitimate use of that information;
- enhance the ability of individuals to be informed about their health care or disability services; and
- promote the provision of quality health services, disability services and aged care services.
Examples of information collected, used or disclosed by the University which would be covered by this legislation are sick leave information, special consideration applications and information held by Student Development Services. Other Schools may also hold information covered by this legislation.
Federation University Australia
Mt Helen Campus
PO Box 663
Ballarat Vic 3353
Telephone: (03) 5327 9504