Special consideration

View the most up-to-date information and forms for special consideration for Higher Education and TAFE students

Sometimes things go wrong, but knowing your rights and responsibilities is the key.

Discretionary Extensions

If you are seeking an extension of up to 5 University working days for one assessment, you can apply for a Discretionary Extension. Discretionary Extension forms need to be submitted no later than two working days before the assessment due date. Follow the submission instructions for TAFE or Higher Education students.

Special Consideration - General

If you need:

  • An extension longer than 5 working days
  • To request an extension after the discretionary extension due date has passed
  • Extensions for multiple courses
  • Consideration given to an attendance requirement

Use Higher Education Special Consideration - General form or VET Special Consideration - General form instead.

Special Consideration - Deferred examination

If you need to defer an end of semester online test or exam, use the Special Consideration-Deferred examination form (pdf, 549kb)

Details of the deferred assessment period for the semester you are studying are published on the Important dates website.

Supporting documentation

The documentation that you provide to support your application depends on your reasons for applying. When you submit your documentation make sure you keep a copy. Here are some common types of supporting documentation.

Statutory declarations: You can have a statutory declaration witnessed online. See the Victorian state government website on statutory declarations to download the required form and for instructions on how to make a Statutory declaration online. You can make an appointment with Frank Lees a Chaplain based at the Churchill campus to have your statutory declaration witnessed via videoconference.

Healthcare professional certification: A Health Care Professional Certification (pdf, 656kb is a University form that you can use as supporting documentation if you are applying for Medical reasons. Health Care professionals including, but not limited to your GP, Psychologist or a University Counsellor can complete this form in support of your application. If you can’t see your healthcare provider in person, telehealth appointments may be available.

Medical certificates: If you are not able to submit a Health Care Professional Certification and you are using a medical certificate it MUST include a classification of the impact that your condition had on you. Details of the classifications can be found on the front of the Health Care Professional Certification form. They include, severe, moderate and minor.

Get your application in on time

For Higher Education students applications for special consideration must be submitted within three working days after the assessment due date (exam or assignment).

For TAFE students, lodge the application prior to the approved submission date for your assessment if possible, unless you have exceptional circumstances that prevent you from being able to lodge your application on time.

How to appeal

Within ten working days of receiving your outcome, you may appeal in writing to the University Appeals Committee. You will need to complete the form, explain your case and submit all documentation.

Need help? Contact us.