FEE‑HELP is a element of the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) loan scheme and assists eligible domestic fee paying students pay to all or part of their tuition fees up to a lifetime limit. It cannot be used for additional study costs such as accommodation or text books.

The total amount of FEE‑HELP you can use is known as the ‘FEE‑HELP limit’. Once you begin using FEE‑HELP, the amount of FEE‑HELP you have left to use is known as your ‘FEE‑HELP balance’.

If you take out a FEE-HELP loan, the Commonwealth pays the loan amount directly to FedUni on your behalf and a FEE-HELP debt is recorded for you with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).


To get a FEE-HELP loan, you must:

  • be an Australian citizen and meet the residency requirements (you must study at least part of your course in Australia).
  • be a New Zealand Special Category visa (SCV) holder or permanent humanitarian visa holder and meet the residency requirements.
  • be enrolled in a fee-paying place.
  • submit a Request for FEE-HELP form and provide your tax file number (TFN) to FedUni by census date.
  • be enrolled in an eligible unit of study by the census date for that unit.
  • not have already borrowed up to your FEE-HELP limit.

FEE-HELP limit

Eligible students can borrow up to the FEE‑HELP limit to pay their tuition fees. The FEE-HELP limit is the maximum loan amount that you can borrow over your life time. If you have reached the FEE-HELP limit you are no longer eligible to access a FEE-HELP loan.

For 2019, the FEE-HELP limit is $104,440 for most students and $150,000 for students undertaking medicine, dentistry and veterinary science courses the (as defined in the Higher Education Support Act 2003).

The FEE‑HELP limit is a lifetime limit and is not reset or ‘topped up’ by any repayments that you make. The FEE‑HELP limit is the total amount available under the FEE‑HELP, VET Student Loans and VET FEE‑HELP loan schemes. This means that any amount you borrow under FEE‑HELP, VET Student Loans or VET FEE‑HELP will reduce your FEE‑HELP balance until you have reached the FEE‑HELP limit.

It is a student's responsibility to keep track of their FEE-HELP balance and to notify the University if there is insufficient FEE-HELP balance remaining to cover tuition fees. You can check your FEE-HELP usage and balance in myUniAssist. There is a time lag between census date and when your information on myUniAssist is updated, so to work out your current balance you may need to add any units you have recently enrolled/are currently enrolled in to the total shown on myUniAssist. Please visit Study Assist for further information on tracking your HELP debt.

Applying for FEE-HELP

  • Complete and submit a signed Request for FEE-HELP assistance form, you can do this as part of your online enrolment process via my Student Centre.
  • Complete and submit the form on or before census date.
  • Supply your tax file number (TFN) on or before census date.


You will have to start repaying your HELP debt through the taxation system once you earn above the compulsory repayment threshold which is set by the Australian Government and adjusted each year. Please visit Study Assist to find out more information on repaying your HELP debt and the compulsory repayment threshold.