Do I need to complete an eCAF even if I don’t want a HECS-HELP loan?

Yes, you still need to complete a Request for Commonwealth Supported Place and HECS-HELP loan eCAF if you are a new student enrolling into a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP), regardless of whether you will be paying your Student Contribution upfront or via a HECS-HELP loan.

The eCAF confirms to the Australian Government that you would like to take up a government subsidy in the form of a Commonwealth Supported Place. This is where the Australian Government pays part of your fees. This part is a subsidy, not a loan, and you don't have to pay it back. The subsidy does not cover the entire cost of your study. The remaining portion is called the Student Contribution Amount, the payment of which you are liable.

By completing your eCAF you are accepting the Commonwealth Supported Place and acknowledging your financial liability for your Student Contribution. You may choose to pay your Student Contribution upfront or apply for a HECS-HELP loan