Dr Louisa Lam
Phone: (03) 51226036
Room: Berwick 903-1121
Position: HDR Coordinator,
- Graduate Certificate in Health Professional Education, Monash University
- Doctor of Philosophy, Monash University
- Master of Public Health, Monash University
- Post-graduate Diploma in Advanced Clinical Nursing (Coronary Care), Melbourne University
- Bachelor in Health Science – Nursing (Post registration), Victoria University
- Diploma in General Nursing, Registered Nurse – Certificate of Registration (General), Nursing Council of Hong Kong
- Acute care
- Coronary Care
- Public Health
- Health Promotion
- Research methods
- Speaker for the Heart Foundation Speakers’ Program
- Member of the working group in Acute Cardiovascular Care Association, European Society of Cardiology
- Member of Heart Failure Association, European Society of Cardiology
- Affiliate member of Cardiac Society of Australia & New Zealand
Grants and awards
- Laing B, Crowley J, King A, Lam L. Improving nutrition care education in the nursing curriculum. Performance-Based Research Fund (PBRF) seeding grant Auckland University – School of Nursing $7,500.
- Hills D and Lam, L. Workplace aggression experiences in nursing and midwifery: Prevalence, prevention, responses and impact. Nurses Board of Victoria Legacy Limited (NBVLL) $40,828
- Bailey M, Lam, L, Nichol A and Iredell J. Bacteraemic load and survival in septic shock. National Health & Medical Research Council (NHMRC). $50,500
- The Alfred Centre and Monash University Research Week: Whole Time Medical Specialists Private Practice Scheme Prize
- Diagnosis and management in cardiovascular diseases
- Warning signs for heart attack in female population
- Burn out and job satisfaction in Health Professionals
- Work place aggression experience in Health Professionals
- Clinical trials in emergency and intensive care
- Health and well-being in migrant population
- Healthy eating and maintaining healthy body weight in the general population
Current PhD students
- 2020 to current - Smoking cessation among migrant health professionals in Victoria, Australia
- 2019 to current- Effects of Protection Motivation Theory on Clinical Factors among Patients with Cardiovascular Disease
- 2019 to current - Cognitive Rehearsal Training as armour against incivility for new nurses: A mixed methods study
- 2018 to current - Undergraduate nursing students’ team communication skills within a simulated emergency setting: A grounded theory study
- 2017 to current - Exploring Antiplatelet Medication Adherence Rates among Cardiac Patients Following Percutaneous Coronary Intervention in Riyadh-Saudi Arabia (due to complete in September 2020)
Completed PhD students
- 2017 to 2020, completed - Perceptions of shared decision-making regarding people diagnosed with schizophrenia: A comparative study
- 2018, completed - The effectiveness of cognitive behavioural therapy for caregivers of Schizophrenia (PhD-sub-project)
- 2017, completed - The relationship among resilience, job stress and burnout in nurses and midwives (PhD sub-project)
- 2016-2017, Completed - Compassion fatigue in emergency department nurses..
- 2018, completed - Newly qualified nurses’ experiences of workplace incivility in Australian hospital settings
Peer review journal papers
- Guan Z, Cross W, Lam L, Wiley J, Sun M, Ba X, Tang S. Feasibility of brief distress screening for family caregivers of adults diagnosed with schizophrenia in Changsha, Hunan, China". Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. Accepted on 2nd June 2020.
- Osman A, Rahman MA, Lam L, Lin CC, Yeoh M, Judkins S, Pratten N, Moran J, Jones D. Cardio-pulmonary resuscitation and endo-tracheal intubation decisions for adults with advance care directive and resuscitation plans in the emergency department. Australasian Emergency Care. Available online 11 June 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.auec.2020.05.003
- Huang C, Cross W, Lam L, Plummer V. Shared decision-making in serious mental illness: A comparative study. Patient Education and Counselling. In Press, Available online on 14 March 2020.
- Huang C., Plummer V, Yun W, Lam L, Cross W. I am the person who knows myself best: Perception on shared decision-making among hospitalized people diagnosed with schizophrenia in China. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing. Available online on 6th April 2020.
- Hills S, Crawford K, Lam L. Hills D. The way we do things around here: A qualitative study of the workplace aggression experiences of Victorian nurses, midwives and care personnel. Collegian. Accepted on 28 February 2020
- Gill BK, Cant R, Lam L, Cooper S, Non-pharmacological depression therapies for older Chinese adults: A Systematic review & meta-analysis. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics. 2020. 88:104037. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2020.104037
- Huang C, Plummer V, Lam L, Cross W. Translation and psychometric testing of a decision-making scale. J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs. 2020; 00:1-10.
- Cant R, Lam L, Cooper S, Hospital Nurses’ Simulation-Based Education Regarding Patient Safety: A Scoping Review. Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2020, 44:19-34.
DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2019.11.006, https://authors.elsevier.com/c/1bDrd6gbRTS63x
- Bai X, Wang A, Cross W, Lam L, Plummer V, Guan Z, Sun M, Tang S, Validation of the distress thermometer for caregivers of children and adolescents with schizophrenia. J Adv Nurs. 2020. 76:687-698.
- O'Callaghan, E. L., Lam, L., Cant, R., & Moss, C. Compassion satisfaction and compassion fatigue in Australian emergency nurses: A descriptive cross-sectional study. International Emergency Nursing. 2020, 48:100785:1-8. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ienj.2019.06.008
- Huang C, Cross W, Lam L, Plummer V. Perceptions of shared decision making in severe mental illness: An integrative review. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 2020, 27:2:103-127.
- Guo Y. F, Lam L, Plummer V, Cross W, Zhang J. P., A WeChat-Based “Three Good Things” Positive Psychotherapy for the Improvement of Job Performance and Self-efficacy in Nurses with Burnout symptoms: A Randomized Controlled Trial. 2020, 28:3:480-487.
- Luo Y, LiH, Plummer V, Cross W, Lam L, Guo Y, Yin Y, Zhang J. An evaluation of a positive psychological intervention to reduce burnout among nurses. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing. 2019. 33(6), 186-191.
- Chen, J, Cross, W. M, Plummer, V., Lam, L, Sun, M, Qin, C, & Siyuan, T. The risk factors of antenatal depression: a cross-sectional survey. Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2019, 28(19-20):3599-3609.
- Sun, M, Tang, S., Chen, J, Li, Y., Bai, W, Lam, L. Plummer, V., . . . Cross, W. M. A study protocol of mobile phone app-based cognitive behaviour training for the prevention of postpartum depression among high-risk mothers. BMC Public Health,2019. 19(1), 710.
- Bai, X., Wang, A., Plummer, V., Lam, L., Cross, W., Guan, Z., . . . Tang, S. Using the theory of planned behaviour to predict nurse's intention to undertake dual practice in China: A multicentre survey. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 2019. 28(11-12), 2101-2110.
- Lupindula Nachiyunde, B., & Lam, L. In response to: Non opioid analgesics for managing postoperative pain after cardiothoracic surgeries. Annals of Cardiac Anaesthesia, 2019. 22(2), 234-234.
- Guo, Y. F., Plummer, V., Lam, L., Wang, Y., Cross, W., & Zhang, J. P. The effects of resilience and turnover intention on nurses' burnout: findings from a comparative cross-sectional study. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 2019. 1-10. DOI: https://doi:10.1111/jocn.14637
- Chen J, Cross W, Plummer V, Lam L. & Tang, S. A systematic review of prevalence and risk factors of postpartum depression in Chinese immigrant women. Women and Birth. 2019, 32(6), 487-492. DOI: http://doi:10.1016/j.wombi.2018.11.019
- Mammen, B., Hills, D. J., & Lam, L. Newly qualified graduate nurses’ experiences of workplace incivility in Australian hospital settings. Collegian, 2018. 25(6), 591-599.
- Hills D, Lam L., & Hills S. Workplace aggression experiences and responses of Victorian nurses, midwives and care personnel. Collegian. 2018.
- Guo Y, Luo Y, Lam L, Cross W, Plummer V & Zhang J. P. Burnout and its association with resilience in nurses: A cross-sectional study. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 2018. 27(1-2), 441-449. DOI: 10.1111/jocn.13952
- Nachiyunde B and Lam L, The efficacy of different mode of analgesia in postoperative pain management and early mobilization in post-operative cardiac surgical patients - A systemic review. Annals of Cardiac Anaesthesia. 2018. 21(4): 363-370.
- Guo YF, Cross, W, Plummer V, Lam L, Luo YH and Zhang JP. Exploring resilience in Chinese nurses: A cross-sectional study. J Nurs Manag, 2017. 25(3):223-230.
- Guo YF, Lam L, Luo YH, Cross W, Plummer V, Yin YZ, Li H and Zhang JP. Female nurses’ burnout symptoms: No Association with the Hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid (HPT) axis. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 2017. 77:47-50. DOI: 10.1016/j.psyneuen.2016.11.020
- Guo Y, Lam L, Luo Y, Plummer V, Cross W, Li H and Zhang J. Reply to Letter to the Editor by Dr. Bianchi et al. regarding our manuscript (Guo, Y., Lam, L., Luo, Y., Plummer, V., Cross, W., Li, H., Yin, Y and Zhang, J., 2017. Female nurses' burnout symptoms: no association with the hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid (HPT) axis. Psychoneuroendocrinology 77:47-50. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 78:255-256.
- Guo Y, Zhang F, Plummer V, Lam L, Cross W and Zhang J. Positive psychotherapy for depression and self-efficacy in undergraduate nursing students: A randomized controlled trial. Int J Ment Health Nurs, 2017. 26(4):375-383.
- Lam L. Response to journal article. Malhotra A, Redberg RF and Meier P. Saturated fat does not clog the arteries: coronary heart disease is a chronic inflammatory condition, the risk of which can be effectively reduced from healthy lifestyle interventions. Br J Sports Med, 2017. 51(15):1111-1112. http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/51/15/1111.responses
- Lam L and East C. Evaluation of a novel opt-out consent process involving pregnant women. ANMJ, 2015. 22(9):43.
- Ronaldson KJ, Lam LL, Rodrigo S and Tonkin AM, A meta-analysis of haemorrhage with ticlopidine and clopidogrel following coronary artery stent placement. European Journal of Cardiovascular Medicine, 2012. 2(2):98-104.
- Lam LL, Cameron PA, Schneider HG, Abramson MJ, Müller C and Krum H. Meta-analysis: Effect of B-Type Natriuretic Peptide Testing on Clinical Outcomes in Patients with Acute Dyspnea in the Emergency Setting. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2010. 153(11):728-35.
- Lokuge A*, Lam L*, Cameron P, Krum H, de Villiers S, Bystrzycki A, Eccleston D, Federman J, Naughton, M and Schneider HG. B-Type Natriuretic Peptide Testing and the Accuracy of Heart Failure Diagnosis in the Emergency Department. Circ Heart Fail. 2010 January 1, 2010. 3(1):104-10.
DOI: 10.1161/CIRCHEARTFAILURE.109.869438 *Joint first author
- Lam LL, Schneider HG, Andrianopoulos N, Krum H, Abramson MJ, Mueller C and Cameron PA. The Effects of BNP Testing at ED for Acute SOB Patients on Clinical Outcomes (Meta-analysis). Heart, Lung and Circulation, 2009. 18(Supplement 3):S190.
- Schneider H-G, Lam L and Cameron P. Does B-Type Natriuretic Peptide Testing Affect Outcome and Management of Patients with Acute Dyspnea? Ann Intern Med, 2009. 151(4):289-90.
- Schneider H-G, Lam L, Lokuge A, Krum H, Naughton MT, De Villiers Smit P, Bystrzycki A, Eccleston D, Federman J, Flannery G and Cameron P. B-Type Natriuretic Peptide Testing, Clinical Outcomes, and Health Services Use in Emergency Department Patients With Dyspnea: A Randomized Trial. Ann Intern Med, 2009. 150(6):365-71. DOI: 10.7326/0003-4819-150-6-200903170-00004
- Smit DV, Lokuge A, Lam L, Bystrzycki A, Cameron PA, Eccleston D, Federman J, Krum, H, Naughton, M and Schneider HG. 32: B-Type Natriuretic Peptide Testing in Patients With Shortness of Breath in the Emergency Department: A Preliminary Analysis of the Accuracy of Heart Failure Diagnosis. Ann Emerg Med, 2008. 51(4):481. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2008.01.300
Invited Key Note Speaker
- Lam L. Hills D. Workplace aggression experiences of Victorian Nurses and Midwives. Annual Occupational Health and Safety Conference on Friday, 16 November 2018 at the Carson Conference Centre Auditorium, Ground Floor, ANMF, 535 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne.
- Lam L. Warning Sign – Representing Heart foundation for The Rotary Club of Knox, April 2018
- Lam L. Healthy eating - Heart Health. Representing Heart Foundation for Caulfield Rotary Club. July 2018
- Lam L. Challenges and achievements of a career which began in Nursing Education. Hong Kong 2017 IDP Agents Training Seminar. 10 October 2017 Kowloon Shangri-La Hotel, Hong Kong
- Lam L. The strengths and the latest development in Nursing Education in Australia. IDP Education and Career Exhibition. 7-8 October 2017 at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre.
- Lam L. Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation – Australian Advanced Life Support Training and Education, 11 October 2017 Education seminar at the Southern Medical University, Guangzhou, China
- Lam L. Monash University Nursing Education. 12-13 October 2017 October China multi-faculty Multi-city Roadshow 11-20 October City of Nanjing, Shenyang & Harbin, China.
Conference presentations and other publications
- Lam L, Hills D. Cynicism, despair and resignation: Australian nurses' perspectives on their experiences of workplace aggression, Oral presentation at the ICN Congress 2019 in Singapore from 27 June to 1 July 2019 in Singapore
- Hills D, Lam L. Workplace aggression experiences of Victorian nurses and midwives in non-metropolitan settings Oral presentation at the 15th National Rural Health Conference on 24-27 March 2019 in Hobart, Tasmania. http://www.ruralhealth.org.au/15nrhc/sites/default/files/D7-5_Hills.pdf
- Hills D,Crawford K, Hills S, Lam L. I only report when I’m bleeding …’Australian nurses’, midwives’ and carers’ feelings about reporting aggression. oral presentation at the Sixth International Conference on Violence in the Health Sector on 24-26 October 2018, Toronto, Canada.
- Lam L, Crawford K, Hills S, Hills D. Aggression at work is a prominent feature of nursing and midwifery practice in Australia, oral presentation at the Sixth International Conference on Violence in the Health Sector on 24-26 October 2018, Toronto, Canada.
- O’Callaghan E, Lam L, Cant R and Moss C. Compassion Fatigue in Emergency Nurses. Oral presentation by Master student Erin O’Callaghan at the 13th International Conference for Emergency Nurses, Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre, Brisbane, 07-09 October 2015
- Lau R, McKenna L, Willetts G, Lam L and Buttigieg H. Nursing student’s Anxiety in Clinical Placement. Presented at the Sixth International Clinical Skills Conference, Prato, Tuscany. 17-20 May 2015
- Lam L, Cameron PA, Driscoll A and Krum H, Nesiritide in Heart Failure: Post ASCEND-HF and ROSE-AHF Meta-analysis and systematic review European Heart Journal 2014. 35 (Suppl): 1063-1063. European Society of Cardiology Congress 2014, at the Fira Gran Via in Barcelona, Spain from 30 August to 3 September 2014
- Lam L, Cameron P and Krum H. Nesiritide – Post ASCEND-HF Meta-analysis (Post presentation at the Asia Pacific Society of Cardiology Conference (APSC 2013) Pattaya, Thailand, 22-24 February, 2013.
- Lam L, Cameron P, Schneider HG, Abramson MJ, Mueller C and Krum H. B-Type Natriuretic Peptide Testing in Patients with Shortness of Breath in The Emergency Department to Improve Patient Outcome (Moderated oral poster presentation at the 17th Asia Pacific Cardiology Congress, Kyoto, Japan 20-23 May 2009.
- Lam L, Lokage A, Cameron P, Henry K, Smit DV, Bystrzycki A, Matthew NT, Federman J, Flannery G, Eccleston D and Schneider HG. B-Type Natriuretic Peptide Testing and The Accuracy of Heart Failure Diagnosis in the Emergency Department (Moderated oral poster presentation at the 17th Asia Pacific Cardiology Congress, Kyoto, Japan. 20-23 May 2009
- Lam L, Schneider HG, Andrianopoulos N, Krum H, Abramson MJ, Mueller C and Cameron P. The effects of BNP testing at ED for Acute SOB patients on clinical outcomes (Meta-analysis). Poster presentation at the 57th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand 2009, Sydney, Australia. 14-16 May 2009
- Lam L, Cameron P, Schneider HG, Abramson MJ, Mueller C and Krum H. Effects on Clinical Outcomes of B-Types Natriuretic Peptide Testing for Acute Decompensated Heart Failure Patients in Clinical Setting, Poster presentation at the European Society of Cardiology Congress 2009, Barcelona, Spain. 29 August – 2 September 2009.
- Lam L, Cameron P, Krum H, Bystrzycki A, Lokuge A, Sutherland A, Smit de V, Federman J, Eccleston D and Schneider H. A randomised trial of BNP testing in patients with shortness of breath in the Emergency Department to improve patient outcome (Final results). Poster displayed at Monash Research Month High Degree Research Poster Exhibition 2008.
- Lam L, Cameron P, Krum H, Bystrzycki A, Lokuge A, Sutherland A, Smit de V, Federman J, Eccleston D and Schneider H. B-type natriuretic peptide (BNP) testing in patients with shortness of breath in the Emergency Department to improve patient outcome (Interim report). Poster displayed at the Alfred week 2006