Federation University Australia is committed to ensuring equality of access to all courses and unit and will provide reasonable adjustments to the learning environment to meet the needs of a diverse range of students. For example, students with a disability, and students with caring responsibilities.
However, we acknowledge that there are some situations where reasonable adjustment is not possible. In such cases, we will provide information on such restrictions to enable students to make an informed decision in relation to their course and unit options in the form of inherent requirements.
Inherent requirements refer to the fundamental attributes, skills and abilities that you must be able to achieve in order to demonstrate the essential learning outcomes of the degree you are studying. For example, such restrictions MAY include but are not limited to the following:
- Inability to secure a current Working with Children Check precluding students being able to undertake mandatory placements in an education or health course;
- An inability to make reasonable adjustments in the education, clinical or workplace environment in relation to physical, psychological, cultural or sensory disabilities precluding students from being able to undertake mandatory placements in a nursing course;
- Disclosures on Police checks that may preclude students from being able to undertake mandatory placements
We also note that successful completion of a qualification does not necessarily guarantee registration in the associated profession. Students are advised to seek information on any restrictions that might apply to them in the applicable registration process prior to making decisions on a choice of course. For example, AHPRA registration for nursing students, VIT registration for education students.
- Inherent requirements for Occupational Therapy (pdf, 278kb)
- Inherent requirements for Physiotherapy (pdf, 277kb)
- Inherent requirements for Speech Pathology (pdf, 275kb)
- Inherent requirements for Pre-registration Midwifery (pdf, 310kb)
- Inherent requirements for Pre-registration Nursing (pdf, 308kb)
- Inherent requirements for Paramedicine (pdf, 202kb)