Position: Scholarly Teaching Fellow – TESOL and enabling
Study Area: TESOL, Enabling and education
Location: Berwick Campus
Phone: 8780 5712
Master of teaching – Monash University – 2016
Bachelor of Arts – Chinese language – Monash University – 1999
Bacehlor of Business – Monash University – 1999
- FAST Federation access studies pathway
- English language support service
- Bachelor of Education
- Master of Specialist Teaching
- Understanding university learning (ATSGC1369)
- Introduction to tertiary studies (FASTP1011)
- Academic writing (FASTP1015)
- Diversity and inclusion – teaching strategies for diverse learners (EDBED2010)
- Wellbeing and social and emotional learning for the Primary years (EDBED2113)
- Differentiating for learning and teaching (EDBED4010)
- Reading in the 21st Century (EDMST6014)
- Academic literacy for international students (HENAE2000)
- ELSS English language support service
Kelly is a lecturer in English language, Federation access studies (FAST) and teacher education. While living in China in 1998, she began teaching English (EAL) and business English for adults, as well as EAL for primary school children. Moving into tertiary teaching in Australia in 2010, she began at Monash University English Language Centre and then joined Federation University in 2019. Kelly took up a scholarly teaching fellow role in TESOL and enabling education at Federation University in 2022.
She has a passion for supporting both international and local students to develop the academic and language skills needed to excel in tertiary studies. Kelly focuses on effective methods for students to build both skills and efficacy, to ensure success throughout their tertiary learning. In her work with our EAP and FAST teams, in addition to her work at Monash University, she has successfully prepared hundreds of students for entry to university.
As part of our English language support service team, she provides language-based support sessions to first year students across various faculties including nursing, business, IT and social work.
Areas of Expertise
Kelly has predominantly worked in university pathways including EAL (English as an additional language) programs supporting international and CALD (culturally and linguistically diverse) students, as well as programs for domestic students. In addition, she is a qualified primary school teacher, with years of experience supporting EAL students between the ages of 5 and 18.
With a keen interest in languages, she speaks fluent Chinese (Mandarin), having studied the language at Monash, before living and working in China for 9 years. She has taught Chinese language and is a passionate advocate for improving language teaching and learning in the primary years. As an intermediate speaker of Italian, she appreciates the understanding this learning brings especially regarding the etymology of English words.
Kelly has a special interest in supporting diverse learners’ needs, with a particular focus on ensuring barriers to learning are actively removed for our EAL, CALD, dyslexic and dysgraphic students in the classroom and in assessment, both at Federation university and in Australian schools.
- Academic writing – teaching and learning strategies
- Language acquisition – effective pedagogies, methodologies
- Enabling education – effective pedagogies, methodologies
- First year transition - student support, skill acquisition, academic writing
- Diverse learner needs in enabling education – learner support and strategies for building efficacy
- EAL/CALD learner support in primary, secondary and tertiary settings
- Dysgraphia learner support in primary, secondary and tertiary settings
- Classroom culture and communication around diverse learner needs
- Primary school language teaching and learning pedagogies
- Immersive language teaching methodologies in primary school settings
- Content and language integrated learning
- EAL vocabulary acquisition strategies for children and adults
- English speaking confidence and accuracy – methodologies for optimisation
- English speaking error correction – pedagogies for confidence and fluency
- Vocabulary – teaching and learning strategies