USI (Unique Student Identifier)

What is a USI?

Your USI (Unique Student Identifier) is your individual education number for life. It also creates an online record of your Australian training achievements.

You need a USI if you are:

  • Undertaking TAFE Nationally Recognised Training
  • a higher education student seeking Commonwealth financial assistance (eg a HECS-HELP loan)
  • a higher education student graduating in 2023 or beyond.

All new and continuing students need to provide Federation University with their USI when you enrol for 2022. If you are studying offshore you do not require a USI.

Create a USI (if you do not already have one) before or straight after you have applied for a Federation University course.

You will need to enter your USI when completing your enrolment checklist once you have accepted your offer into a new course. If you commenced pre-2021 you will also need to enter a USI when completing your checklist.

Currently only recognised VET study completed since 2015 is included on a USI transcript. It does not include any higher education study/qualifications.

How do I create a USI?

It only takes a few minutes to create online and you will get an email from the Victorian Government confirming your number.

Your USI is your individual education number for life. If you think you may have a USI from previous study (if you have completed any training since 2015), please visit Find your USI website.

To create a USI you will need one of the following forms of ID:

  • Australian passport
  • Non-Australian Passport (with Australian visa)
  • Australian birth certificate
  • Australian driver's licence
  • Medicare card
  • Certificate of registration by decent
  • Centrelink concession cards
  • Citizenship certificate
  • ImmiCard.

It is important to know that the name you use when creating your USI must be identical to the name you have used when applying for a Federation University program. This includes your first, middle and surname. An easy way to ensure that you have the identical name in both applications is to use the same form of identification eg: passport. If you are required to change your legal name with the university, please submit the Amend your personal details form via FRED or your partner institution.

Create your USI

For more information regarding the USI please visit Get a USI | Unique Student Identifier

How to link your USI to myGOV?

You can now link your USI account to the myGov account. By linking the USI account within myGov, you can use a single secure sign-in to conveniently access other linked government services – such as Centrelink, Medicare or the Australian Taxation Office.

You can still log in to the USI Student Portal the same way as before. Linking the USI account within myGov gives you more ways to access the USI. Whether you are viewing and sharing the USI VET transcript, or updating your details, accessing the USI has never been easier.

You will need an active USI account before you can link the USI to myGov. For more information, visit USI and myGov.

Information regarding USIs for international students

If you are an international student, you will require a USI if you are studying in Australia.

To apply for a USI, you must land in Australia and pass through customs. You will be able to use your passport and student visa as proof of identification.

International students studying offshore are not required to have a USI. When completing your checklist, please contact Student HQ via FRED to bypass the USI.

For more information regarding international students and USI requirements view USI website.