Understand your fees

There are different fee structures depending on the field of study and type of course you choose. The fees you pay for your course and what assistance you are eligible to receive depends on your citizenship, the type of place you are offered and the year you commenced your studies.

When you enrol in your course, any fees you need to pay will be displayed in your my Student Centre under the Campus Finances tile and will be shown on your invoice. Your enrolment and fee type will determine your payment due date.

Fee types

Tuition feesThese are charged to all higher education, vocational education and preparatory students. You’ll be charged a fee to cover the cost of each unit (subject) in your course.
Administration, Incidental and Material feesThese include fees and charges for services like academic transcripts or replacement ID cards, activities such as field trips or materials that become your property.
Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF)This is set by the Australian Government on an annual basis and funds services of a non-academic nature that enhance the student experience.

Domestic students - Australian or New Zealand citizens, humanitarian visa holders or an Australian permanent residents

International students - temporary residents of Australia or a citizen of a country other than Australia or New Zealand

Vocational education and training (TAFE)

Federation TAFE offers a range of VET courses, including certificates, diplomas, advanced diplomas, apprenticeships, traineeships and VCAL. Fees will vary depending on the course and your eligibility for government subsidised training. Some courses may have  free tuition fees under the Victorian Government's Free TAFE for Priority Courses initiative.

Government-subsidised places

Skills First is a Victorian Government program that helps people access vocational education and training. If you are eligible, you can apply for a government-subsidised place, which means the government will contribute to the cost of your training.

Domestic Full Fee-Paying places

If you are not eligible for a government-subsidised place, you will be charged the full-fee tuition rate for all enrolled hours.

Find out more and check your eligibility on our VET fees page.

Higher education 

Commonwealth supported place (CSP)

CSP are available to eligible domestic students for undergraduate or postgraduate degrees by coursework. Fees are subsidised by the Australian Government and students make a contribution towards their study. Maximum fees are set by the Government each year for a full time study load. Eligible students can use a HECS-HELP loan to pay their fees.

Domestic Full Fee-Paying places

These places are offered for postgraduate studies or to CSP ineligible students and tuition fees are not subsidised by the Australian Government. You will need to pay tuition fees up front each semester and the amount you pay is based on an annual tuition fee for your course. Eligible students can use a FEE-HELP loan to pay their fees.

International Full Fee-Paying places

These places are offered for undergraduate and postgraduate degrees (by coursework) as well as Higher Degrees by Research (HDR). Students pay tuition fees up front each semester and the amount you pay is based on an annual tuition fee for your course.

Higher Degree by Research (HDR)

Domestic students may be eligible to receive a Research Training Program (RTP) fee offset place to cover the cost of study. International students may be eligible to apply for tuition fee waiver support. Students not eligible for RTP fee offsets or fee waivers will be full fee-paying. Find out more on the Graduate Research School page.

Non-Award enrolments

Non-award study for both domestic and international students is only offered on a Full Fee-Paying basis. Up front payment of tuition fees is required and no HELP loan is available.