PASS Program: Join a study group for your course
Peer Assisted Study Sessions (PASS) offer a fun, informal study environment, so that you can get the most out of your course.
PASS sessions are facilitated by experienced students (PASS leaders) and offer a relaxed peer environment, where students can consolidate their understanding of the course content and develop their study skills. PASS is usually attached to courses that can be challenging for students. Many of these courses are core first year courses students encounter in the first and second semester of their transition to university life.
Where can I go to PASS?
PASS is available to students through:
- Mt Helen
- Online (NEW - see timetable for more information)
Would you like a PASS session in Horsham? Make a request to email@example.com
You can also attend PASS during our SWOTVAC Super Study event each semester.
The PASS Online program aims to provide the same fun and interactive Peer Assisted Study Sessions that are facilitated by Student Leaders face-to-face, simultaneously to students from both Gippsland, Mount Helen and Online campuses through Adobe Connect Classrooms via Moodle.
The program is currently running for 10 subjects for Semester 2, 2016 so if you're in one of the units below simply click on the link to find out more information and come to PASS Online. Select from the subject list below to be taken to the PASS Moodle shell.
- HEALT1111 - Anatomy and Physiology for Health Professionals 2
- SCCHM1001 - Chemistry 2
- BULAW1503 - Commercial Law
- ATSGC1284 - The Criminal Justice Process
- ITECH5006 - Database Management Systems
- ENCOR1000 - Engineering Statics
- BULAW1502 - Fundamentals of Law
- BUMKT1501 - Introduction to Marketing
- ITECH1000 - Programming 2
- STATS1000 - Statistical Methods
Why should I go to PASS?
PASS is a chance to get together in small groups with other students in the course to compare notes, discuss important topics, and to develop strategies for studying and learning.
At each session a Peer Leader will be on hand to guide students through the course material. Sessions are designed to be informal, flexible, and fun! The focus of each session will be determined by the needs of the group. PASS is a valuable opportunity for students to seek advice in a friendly, relaxed environment.
If you regularly attend PASS, studies show that your final mark will be substantially improved.
What can you expect from PASS?
In PASS you will...
- Be a valued member of your PASS group
- Learn from a student who has been through the course before
- Work with a group of fellow students to improve understanding of course material
- Have the chance to ask questions that may seem silly, in a relaxed environment
- Have access to more study materials, such as past exams or mock exam questions
- Make friends and have fun!
Your PASS leader...
- Is an experienced student
- Relays tips on their effective study skills for your discipline
- Assists you in working out what to learn as well as how to learn it
- Plans and facilitate activities which aim to encourage collaborative learning
- Models relevant critical thinking and problem solving techniques
- Will empower you to become an independent learner
How do I attend PASS?
Just turn up! Once you know when a PASS session is running you simply go to the PASS rooms (on campus or online) at the right time. There is no enrollment or registration required. You can even attend multiple sessions in a week.
You can contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1800 333 864 for any enquiries.