On-campus access to computers, Wi-Fi and study facilitiesPosted: Thursday 23 April 2020
An on-campus learning and study space is now available for students to use at Berwick, Brisbane, Gippsland, Mt Helen, SMB and Wimmera campuses. The university is providing these spaces in response to requests received from students who need ongoing access to computer and Wi-Fi facilities for their online studies.
The rooms are set up to meet the government’s coronavirus COVID-19 social distancing and space allocation requirements and all students are welcome to use them. Apart from students living on campus or those with a special exemption, students are not to be on campus in any other spaces.
The spaces are open 8:00am to 6:00pm, Monday to Friday and are managed by the University's Security Officers.
To access a workspace, with or without a computer, students will need to book ahead, using the Library’s discussion room booking system.
The on-campus student learning spaces are:
Ballarat – Mt Helen
F Building Level 3 open space -- Enter off East Terrace, Car Park 7
Ballarat – SMB
SMB Library after-hours space - Enter via after-hours entrance next to Building E
902 G64 - Enter via Building 902 entrance
Level 7 Library and computer lab - Enter building, take lift to Level 7
Library after-hours space - Enter via 1W main reception entrance
Library computer lab - Enter via Wimmera Building C main entrance
Remember, all other university facilities and student spaces including other 24-hour computer labs are now closed. You are not permitted to be on campus unless you have booked one of these spaces.
Here’s the key information:
- Bookings are for 2 hours, commencing at 8am, 10am, 12noon, 2pm and 4pm. Multiple bookings can be made in a day. If the demand is too great, a limit to daily bookings may apply later
- Security Officers admit students with bookings at the commencement of each 2-hour session. They will ensure student safety, reinforce social distancing and have triage skills to respond to basic student queries regarding COVID-19
- You are encouraged to arrive at the commencement of your booked time to ensure the workstation you use has been cleaned. If Security is no longer in the area when you arrive, you will need to call them to open the door. At the end of the two hours, students will be asked to take their possessions and leave the space – to take a break, and to enable thorough cleaning
- Facilities Services staff will deep clean spaces every two hours, including computer equipment, high touch surfaces and toilets. Students are encouraged to wash their hands thoroughly before and after using the space, not touch their face and not use the spaces if at all unwell.
- Library staff are available via the InfoPoint chat service online. They are able to assist you with the bookings platform, resolve general tier-1 queries, and refer more complex queries as appropriate.
- Signage in each space provides COVID-19 safety messages along with further information.
Feel free to contact the Library if you need help with your Booking, have a general inquiry or would like to provide feedback on this initiative. The Security Officer on site can also assist with any queries while you’re on campus. We wish you well with your studies!
Director, Library and Learning Spaces