Before you travel

Travel permissions and responsibilities

Staff intending to travel on University business are required to book 'Business/Travel' leave via the Employee Self-Service System (ESS) AND complete either the Domestic Travel Application form (pdf, 374kb) OR the International Travel Application form (pdf, 80.6kb).

Please note: Employees are not required to submit a business/travel leave booking if the leave is for only a part or full day. Travel/business leave requests are only required if the leave is for an overnight stay or the duration of the leave is over multiple days.

It is the travelling staff member and their authorising officer's responsibility to ensure that all travel policies and procedures in respect of travel and related expenses have been adhered to.

Travel expenses paid for by the University are for University business only

Travel costs where the primary purpose for travel is undertaking University business will be paid for by the University. Where private travel is being taken in conjunction with University business travel, the University will fund only those components of the travel that are directly attributable to the University business activity.

Private travel and University business travel

Limited incidental private travel included with University business travel is permitted, noting that limited incidental private travel is defined as:

  • for travel of a duration of less than 21 days, no more than 25 percent of the totals days of the travel, not including weekends used for private purposes, and
  • for travel of a duration equal to or greater than 21 days, no more than 30 percent of the totals days of the travel, not including weekends used for private purposes.

Travel allowances

The recommended guidelines for estimating hotel, meals and incidentals costs for domestic travel is the ATO Reasonable Daily Allowance (pdf, 141kb).

Book a travel health consultation

Our health centres can provide provide up-to-date travel advice as well as information regarding recommended and required immunisations.

Mt Helen Campus: Ph +61 3 5327 9477

Gippsland Campus: Ph +61 3 5122 6425

Get up-to-date destination information, travel tips and advice

Visit the Smart traveller website to register your travel plans and for:

  • travel advice for countries and events
  • travel info you should know
    • tips
    • staying safe and healthy
    • travelling responsibly
    • when things go wrong