OS-HELP Loan Program
OS-HELP is a loan program that can provide financial assistance to eligible Commonwealth-supported students wishing to undertake part of their study overseas. In 2020, the maximum you can borrow for a six-month study period is:
- $6,913 if you do not study in Asia
- $8,295 if you study in Asia; plus an extra $1,104 if you do an approved Asian language study in preparation for your study in Asia (and meet the eligibility requirements), with the loan amount being added to your HELP debt.
Please refer to the OS-HELP Student Eligibility Requirements (pdf, 78kb) for additional information.
The total funds made available by the Department of Education and Training for OS-HELP loans are limited each year, so loans may not be available to all students who apply.
If there are insufficient loans for all eligible applicants, FedUni will select students to receive loans applying one or more of the following criteria:
- Loans may be awarded to students with the highest GPAs
- Loans may be declined to students who are receiving scholarships, grants or other forms of financial assistance towards their overseas study
- Preference may be granted to students who have not previously received an OS-HELP loan
- Preference may be given to students who have previously applied and been assessed as eligible, but could not be granted a loan because insufficient funds were available.
There will be three application rounds which close on the following dates each year.
- 15th April
- 25th June
- 10th September
Students may apply for OS-HELP loans prior to these dates and may be paid earlier in the circumstances of early mobility dates.