Morwell Innovation Centre
Bringing the best of innovation and enterprise to Gippsland
Federation University Australia’s $17m Morwell Innovation Centre in Gippsland is set to provide students and businesses with access to the latest knowledge in innovation and technology.
Opening in 2020, MIC will house dynamic spaces designed to promote creative thinking and practice and support local enterprise and entrepreneurship.
It will allow for new collaborations to support transition and economic growth in the Gippsland region and is being built in response to the region’s need to:
- increase the adoption of technology
- support industry growth, transition and employment growth
- enhance and strengthen the region’s social capital by strengthening existing networks.
MIC will comprise an approximately 2,700m2 building over two levels, incorporating both an innovation hub and commercial tenancies. Over 180 jobs are expected to arise from the businesses located at the site.
MIC aims to:
- harvest the best models of innovation culture from around the globe and apply them to Hi-Tech Precinct Gippsland
- provide vocational pathways for tech-focused students in eastern Victoria
- reflect the needs of businesses to secure their presence on site
- provide employment for local trades and services during construction
- provide opportunities for employment post-construction.
MIC is part of Hi-Tech Precinct Gippsland, an initiative between Federation University Australia, TAFE Gippsland, Gippsland Tech School, Latrobe City Council and the Victorian Government.
For more information on the Precinct, visit the Hi-Tech Precinct Gippsland website.