Australia’s first co-operative university
Federation has embarked on a journey to become the first Australian university to embed the globally recognised cooperative education model in all our programs.
The unique Federation Co-op Model is tailored to meet the needs of our students, communities and industry partners to ensure we prepare students for careers and support industry with skilled graduates that meet the needs of our regions.
The Federation Co-op Model will link students to workplaces and industry as a core part of their studies, and take learning from our campuses to the workplace. Our Co-op model is not just traditional work experience, but a coherent, deliberate set of learning experiences that bridge campus-based learning with workplace learning, so when our students graduate, they already have work experience, as well as the skills to succeed.
Students at Federation will have opportunity to work with employers and build their work experience and resume, so they can go straight from their studies into their first job or their new career.
Every Federation co-op degree will:
- Include transferable skills as well as the technical skills to prepare you for your career
- Include at least 150 hours of workplace learning that contributes to your course credits
- Give you the opportunity to work with employers and build your work experience and resume so you can go straight from university into your first job or your new career,
- Provide a range of workplace learning opportunities to suit you including:
- paid cadetships
- extended internships
- shorter learning in the workplace opportunities
- a team-based project for an industry partner
- connect you with local and international opportunities, with access to major national and global employers opening up opportunities for travel
The Federation Co-op Model will build on the University’s track record of strong industry partnerships and enhance our position as the number one university in Victoria for full-time graduate employment.
Our first co-op degrees will be launched in 2023 and include
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Information Technology (Professional Practice)
- Bachelor of Visual Arts
- Bachelor of Business
Our remaining degrees will transition to this model over the coming years.
Discover our partnerships and learn how to partner with Federation University.