Website post or page (general treatment)
Important: Confirm with your lecturer whether you are using APA 6th or APA 7th as they are slightly different.
According to Fry (2013) David Cameron's views …
David Cameron has recently announced … (Fry, 2013).
- Many electronic sources do not provide page numbers, unless they are in PDF format. In this case, use the paragraph number (you will have to count them yourself).
- Place direct quotes between double quotation marks " " and use the name of the section or the paragraph number as part of the in-text reference if quoting from a website that is not a PDF document.
"David Cameron has recently started campaigning …" (Fry, 2013, para. 3).
Author. (Year/Date). Title [Form, if needed]. URL
With the retrieval date:
Department of Health. (2018). Latest My Aged Care updates: Ageing and aged care. Retrieved July 11, 2018, from https://agedcare.health.gov.au/programs/my-aged-care/latest-my-aged-care-updates
Without the retrieval date:
World Health Organization. (2018, March). Questions and answers on immunization and vaccine safety. https://www.who.int/features/qa/84/en
- Give the name of the person or group who created the content on the page.
- Give the year or specific date of the page (as displayed on the individual page) or use the copyright date, last updated date, or (n.d.) as appropriate.
- Give the title of the page. If there is no title, give a short descriptive phrase in square brackets. If the material is non-routine, add a description of form in square brackets.
- Give URL of the page (archived URL if available; click date stamp to access) or of the home page, whichever is more direct/reliable.
- Provide a retrieval date for references where the content changes over time, such as for non-archived social media pages.
REFERRING TO A WEBSITE IN TEXT
The video-sharing website YouTube (http://www.youtube.com) is … IN WRITING ONLY
No reference entry required
- When making a general reference to a website as a whole (i.e., not to a specific document, page or post on the site), give the URL in round brackets after the mention; no reference entry is needed.