How to present a reference list
Important: Confirm with your lecturer whether you are using APA 6th or APA 7th as they are slightly different.
How to set up the list in Microsoft Word
- Begin the list on a new page at the end of your work.
- Give the list the centred heading ‘References’.
- Use double line-spacing and a hanging indent (approx. 0.75 cm or 4-5 spaces).
- In Word, select your references and use Ctrl+2 (Command+2 on a Mac) to double-space lines.
- Select your references and use Ctrl+T (Command+T on a Mac) to format with a hanging indent, then (while the text is still selected), right-click on the highlighted text to get a pop-up menu, select Paragraph, and you can set the size of the hanging indent.
- Do not add line breaks manually to the hyperlink; it is acceptable if your word-processing program automatically adds a break or moves the hyperlink to its own line.
What to include
- Give an entry for every source you have cited in the text.
- Do not add entries for material you have not used, however relevant.
How to arrange the entries
- List entries alphabetically by author.
- If there is no author, list by title. (Ignore ‘A’ or ‘An’ or ‘The’ as first words.)
- If you have more than one entry with the same author, list by year (earliest first).
- If you have more than one entry with the same author and year, list alphabetically by title, and add a lower case letter to each year; e.g., ‘a’ for first, ‘b’ for second
Example of a reference list
Anderson, T.D. (1985). Panel data: A primer. Paragon.
Baird, J. (2016, November 05). There’s no such thing as ‘just a nurse’. The Age. http://www.theage.com.au/
Brack, J. (1955). The fish shop [Oil on composition board]. Museum of Modern Art.
Brown, T. L., LeMay, H. E., Bursten, B. E., Murphy, C. J., Langford, S. J., & Sagatys, D. (2010). Chemistry: The central science: A broad perspective (2nd ed.). Pearson.
Cohen, H. (Presenter). (2013, December 29). Casualties in the supermarket war. Background briefing [Audio podcast]. http://www.abc.net.au/rn/programs/backgroundbriefing/
Destounis, S. V., Arieno, A. L., Morgan, R. C., Cavanaugh, D., Seifert, P. J., Murphy, P. F., & Somerville, P. A. (2014). Comparison of breast cancers diagnosed in screening patients in their 40s with and without family history of breast cancer in a community outpatient facility. American Journal of Roentgenology, 202(4), 928-932. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.13.11194
Early Childhood Australia. (2016). Early childhood Australia’s advocacy: Advocacy goals. http://www.earlychildhoodaustralia.org.au/our-work/early-childhood-australias-advocacy/
Felton, A., & Royal, J. (2015). Skills for nursing practice: Development of clinical skills in pre-registration nurse education. Nurse Education in Practice, 15(1), 38-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2014.11.009
Hillsdon, M. (2002). Statistical analysis primer. Lansdowne.
Hillsdon, M. (2002a). Basic econometrics (4th ed.). Hill.
Hillsdon, M. (2002b). Computational methods. Lansdowne.
Informit EduTV. (2016, May 31). Revolution School: Ep. 1 of 4 [Video file]. http://edutv.informit.com.au/browse-videos.php
Johnson, A. & Hanson, S. (1995). Determinants of capital structure: theory vs practice. Scandinavian Journal of Management, 11(2), 91-102.
Kirkwood, R., & Goldsworthy, S. (2013). Fur seals and sea lions. [PDF]. http://uball.csiro.patron.eb20.com/Collections/ViewBook/295eae4d-f807-481b-95cc-05fb9d9f5f48
Mental Health Act 2014 (Vic) s. 115.1. http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/
Parks Victoria. (2004). Fire ecology in the Grampians [Brochure]. http://www.brambuk.com.au/assets/pdf/GrampiansNationalParkFireEcology.pdf
Pastorino, E., & Doyle-Portillo, S. (2016). What is psychology?: Foundations, applications and integration. Cengage Learning.
Primal Pictures. (2014, September 19). Primal’s 3D atlas of human anatomy [Video file]. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-BtsX3bGvs&feature=youtu.be
Schirm, V. (2013). Quality of life. In I. M. Lubkin & P. D. Larsen (Eds.), Chronic illness: Impact and interventions (8th ed., pp. 183-206). Jones & Bartlett Learning.
Sullivan, E. J. (2013). Becoming influential: A guide for nurses (2nd ed.). Pearson.
Wang, H. (2015). Protein degradation pathways in hepatic ER stress and insulin resistance. (Doctoral dissertation). http://researchbank.rmit.edu.au/view/rmit:161444
West, K. [kanyewest]. (2013, December 9). Thank you, Mandela, for your life's work and may it serve as a guiding light to illuminate our future [Tweet]. https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/410097143261589504