Important: Confirm with your lecturer whether you are using APA 6th or APA 7th as they are slightly different.
- Name both authors.
- Join authors by ‘&’ in round brackets, or ‘and’ in the sentence.
. . . identifies skills intrinsic to current nursing practitioners (Felton & Royal, 2015).
Felton and Royal (2015) argue that . .
Place direct quotes between double quotation marks " " and provide the page number(s) from the journal.
According to Felton and Royal (2015) "supporting the development of practitioners' skills within preregistration nursing education is complex" (p. 38).
Author. (Year). Article title. Journal Name, vol(issue), xx–xx. DOI or URL
Print or online with DOI
Felton, A., & Royal, J. (2015). Skills for nursing practice: Development of clinical skills in pre-registration nurse education. Nurse Education in Practice, 15(1), 38-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2014.11.009
- Give volume number (italics) and issue number (round brackets, no italics). No space between.
- Give page range of article if page numbers are shown (no ‘p.’ or ‘pp.’).
- When including journal articles in the reference list, you must italicise the title of the journal and volume number, and include the digital object identifier (DOI) at the end of the reference (if stated).
- DOI format: DOIs should be presented as hyperlinks beginning with https:// or http://.
- It is not necessary to include the words “Retrieved from” or “Accessed from” before a DOI.