Example reference letter
To whom it may concern,
I am writing this letter to express my support for [insert applicant's name] in their application for a Foundation Scholarship with the Federation University Australia Foundation.
Supporting statements (use the following prompts as a guide to write your reference letter):
- How do you know the scholarship applicant and for how long have you known them?
- What is the nature of your relationship/under what circumstances have you become familiar with the applicant’s capabilities?
- Include a positive description about the applicant’s performance at work/school/etc; personality traits including leadership skills, strengths, work ethic; academic abilities; education and/or career goals as appropriate to the relevant scholarship
- Discuss the applicant’s potential for future success
- Describe any obstacles or hardships the applicant has faced or overcome including any special personal or family circumstances that have caused financial or other difficulty
[Insert your full name]
[Position, if applicable]
[Company, if applicable]
This letter should be on letterhead if applicable.
References should be submitted with the student’s application to the Scholarships and Grants Office.