Finding the right place to live is one of the most important decisions you make while you study.

It's probably going to be the place you spend the most amount of time, and can influence who you make friends with. Living on campus at one of our residences is a great option, especially for new students, as your travel time is reduced, you have a large group of people to make friends with, and there are a range of great activities and support to help you settle in. You even have the option to have your evening meal provided during the week. Newly-commencing international students are entitled to apply for a scholarship, which can cover a portion of your rent if you are eligible. For more information about living on campus, visit the Fedliving.

If you prefer to live off campus, the local communities have many options, from individual rooms in a share house to renting an entire house or apartment with a group of friends. Our guide to finding accommodation can be found here: Finding Accommodation (pdf, 84kb)

Our top tips for safe renting are:

  • Know your rights and responsibilities as a tenant, and check with Consumer Affairs Victoria if you need advice.
  • Don't rent without a contract, and make sure that both you and the landlord sign it before you move in.
  • Don't sign anything or pay anything until you have personally inspected the house - Arrange to stay on campus or with friends for at least a week upon arrival while you find something permanent.
  • Use a reputable rental agent if possible - they all generally list properties on Real estate website.
  • All bonds (deposits) should be paid through the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA), not directly to your landlord. This protects both you and the landlord.
  • If you're not sure about something, get some advice - you can drop in to see us in the office, or contact Consumer Affairs.