Firing Service at Federation University
We offer a general firing service for $10 per kilo for the following temperatures:
- Bisque Firing (984.c) Bisque firings are designed to dry out and harden the clay to create an even surface for decorating and glazing.
- Earthenware Glaze Firing (1100.c) At an earthenware firing temperature the clay remains porous. It is often used for decorative/sculptural pieces or traditional storage vessels.
- Mid-Fire Glaze Firing (Cone 6, 1220.c) This firing is designed to set the glazes and harden the clay to its most solid form.
When you leave your work with our technicians for firing, it is understood that you have read and agreed to the Terms and Conditions as below:
Please make sure to do the following:
- Ensure you work is completely dry - Evaporating moisture inside the kiln can cause damage to the kiln and potentially other people’s work.
- Poke a hole in your piece if it is hollow and fully enclosed. Work will explode if you don’t.
- Mark your work for identification purposes.
- Ensure your work has no glaze on the bottom - Glaze will stick to the kiln shelf during firing. Work with overly thick applications of glaze, or layered glazes may be rejected.
You must have a good understanding of the material you have used and the glazes you may have applied. All care will be taken with your work during firing, but we cannot be responsible for breakages or glaze issues.
Our kilns are not set up for production purposes, we are offering this service to community members, but please note that firing the work of our Federation University students is our main priority, and as such turn around times for the community firing service may vary.
Our firing service takes on average 8-10 days for each stage of firing. On rare occasions, turn around may be longer if a kiln is experiencing issues or undergoing maintenance.
Ceramics is a volatile medium and occasionally mishaps occur. We strongly recommend that you do ample testing and leave enough time to complete any project.
Please note that you may incur a fee if your clay/glaze damages the kiln or kiln shelves.
Firing is available at the Ceramics Studio – Federation University, SMB Campus
Drop off & pick up: Mondays and Wednesdays 8.30am - 9.30am
Monday 1st August - Wednesday 21st September 2022
(service closed week of 26th September 2022)
Monday 3rd October - Wednesday 2nd November 2022
Contact: Claire Blake, email@example.com