HECS-HELP is a loan scheme for eligible students enrolled in a Commonwealth Supported Place Eligible to pay your student contribution amount.
HECS-HELP loan: a loan from the Australian government for all, or part, of your student contribution amount. This loan is then repaid through the tax system when your income reaches the minimum threshold for compulsory repayments of HELP loans.
Note: The HECS‑HELP 10% discount for upfront payments was removed on 1 January 2017.
To be eligible for HECS‑HELP, you must be:
- studying in a Commonwealth Supported Place;
- an Australian citizen residing in Australia for at least one course of study contributing to your program; or
- an eligible New Zealand Special Category Visa holder (who meets the long-term residency requirements) residing in Australia for at least one course of study contributing to your program; or
- a permanent humanitarian visa holder residing in Australia for the duration of your course of study.
You must also:
- read the HECS‑HELP and Commonwealth supported places information booklet;
- submit a valid Request for Commonwealth support and HECS‑HELP form on or before the census date; and
- supply your Tax File Number (TFN).
The HECS‑HELP and Commonwealth supported places information booklet is available on the Study Assist website. Copies of the booklet and Request for Commonwealth support forms are also available from Student Administration.
If you are a permanent (non-humanitarian) visa holder, or a New Zealand citizen (who does not meet the NZ SCV residency requirements for HELP loans), you are not eligible for HECS-HELP. Students who are not eligible for HECS-HELP must pay their full student contribution amount upfront to FedUni by the census date.
For further information on HECS-HELP can be found on the Study Assist website.
To apply for HECS-HELP eligible students must complete a Request for Commonwealth support and HECS-HELP form. An electronic Commonwealth Assistance form (eCAF) is available in my Student Centre as part of the online enrolment process.
Note: Eligible New Zealand Special Category Visa holders will need to apply for HECS-HELP in person at Student HQ and provide evidence of their eligibility. Please refer to our New Zealand HELP eligibility page for further information.
If you are a cross-institutional student and wish to access HECS-HELP at both institutions, you must complete a Request for Commonwealth support and HECS-HELP form for each institution at which you enrol. Domestic cross-institutional students who are offered a Commonwealth Supported Place at FedUni must complete a Request for Commonwealth support and HECS-HELP form online as part of the enrolment process.