Note: If requested, a School/Directorate must allow a HSR time off work with pay to attend -
- a 5-day HSR initial OHS training course after being elected
- a 1-day HSR refresher at least annually in each year they hold office after completing the initial training
The cost of the training is covered by the School/Directorate.
Contact the Risk, Health and Safety Department for further advice.
HSR initial OHS training
This course provides HSRs with an understanding of the objectives of the OHS Act 2004 and their role under the Act
- Interpreting the OHS legislation framework and its relationship to HSRs
- Identifying key parties and their legislative obligations and duties
- Establishing representation in the workplace
- Participating in consultation and issue resolution
- Representing DWG members in any OHS risk management process undertaken by the appropriate duty holder/s
- Issuing a PIN and directing the cessation of work.
HSR refresher OHS training
The refresher course allows an opportunity for HSRs to revisit components of the initial course whilst providing an update on current issues via the WorkSafe website.
Please enrol directly with the provider.
VIOSH (Federation University) - training provided in Ballarat
Victorian Trades Hall - training provided in Ballarat, Melbourne and Morwell
Hazcon - training provided in Melbourne, Trafalgar and Traralgon
Victorian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (VECCI) - training provided in Ballarat, Melbourne and Traralgon