Foster parent leave
Academic and general staff
Academic and general staff (other than a casual employee) are entitled to foster parent leave. From the time that the child enters their care, if the employee is acting as the primary carer of a foster child on a long-term placement, they will be entitled to three weeks leave on full pay or six weeks leave on half pay if the child is younger than five, or two weeks leave on full pay or four weeks leave on half pay if the child is older than five.
TAFE teaching staff
There are currently no foster parent leave provisions available for TAFE teaching staff.
How to apply for foster parent leave
- Fully understand your own foster parent leave entitlements, appropriate options and notification timelines, and decide on a plan that best suits your circumstances.
- Read UCA clause 52.5 (extract below) AND/OR discuss your situation and plans confidentially with the Coordinator, HR ext. 9367 (firstname.lastname@example.org) AND/OR with your supervisor.
- Give at least 4 weeks notice in writing of when you wish commence foster parent leave.
- Provide documentation that substantiates your foster parent status.
- Complete and submit an Employee Leave Form (docx, 105kb) and submit it with documentation that substantiates your foster parent status and a Letter of Request.
Enterprise agreement - Extracts
Links to detailed information on leave entitlements and conditions relevant to foster parent leave:
Parental leave - Academic and General staff
Federation University Australia Union Collective Agreement (UCA) 2015-2018,
Academic and General Staff Employees
Link to: Clause 52 (pdf, 49kb)