What is covered?


Once your claim has been accepted you will receive compensation payments for the periods you are unable to work or are only able to work partial hours. Compensation will be based on your pre-injury average weekly earnings (PIAWE).

Pre-injury Average Weekly Earnings are calculated using your average weekly earnings for the 12 months prior to your injury. It is based on your ordinary time rate of pay for your normal number of working hours per week. From 5 April 2010 overtime and allowances (where applicable) may be included in the calculation for the first 52 weeks* of weekly payments.

The University is responsible for your payments for the first 10 days of your injury.

* Claims received before 05/04/2010: the entitlement will be based on 26 weeks.


If the worker has returned to work and is earning less than their PIAWE
If the worker has not returned to work
For the first 13 weeks 95% of PIAWE (capped at a maximum rate), less what they currently earn a week. 95% of PIAWE (capped at a maximum rate), less what they currently earn a week.
14 weeks to 130 weeks* 80% of PIAWE (capped at a maximum rate),
less 80% of what they currently earn a week.
80% of PIAWE (capped at a maximum rate).
After 130 weeks*

Weekly payments cease after 130 weeks.

If an employee is working at least 15 hours per week and continues to be incapable of working beyond this level in any job as a result of their injury or illness they can apply to have their weekly payments to continue beyond 130 weeks.

If the injured worker meets both these conditions, their weekly payments will be 80% of PIAWE (capped) less 80% of what they currently earn.

Weekly payments cease, unless your injured worker still has no capacity for suitable alternative work and this is not likely to change: 80% of PIAWE (capped).

Payments can continue until the earlier of:
- a change in capacity; or
- the injured worker reaches the age of 65 years.

* Claims received before 01/01/2005: the entitlement will be based on 104 weeks.

Source: Victorian WorkCover Authority (VWA); "What to do if a worker is injured? - A guide for Employers" and "Introducing WorkCover, A guide for Employees".

Medical and Like Services

Once your claim has been accepted, the University and/or our insurer will pay for reasonable medical and like expenses relating to your injury.

The University is responsible for the first $582† of any medical and like expenses incurred. (†Indexed Employer Liability for 2009/10 – Ref: VWA website)

Staff members may choose their own medical providers.

It is recommended that you have your treating doctor note on your Certificate of Capacity what additional treatment is required, ie. physiotherapy. NB: Some treatments may require a written request to the insurer before they will be approved, ie. acupuncture, massage, gym or swimming rehabilitation.

Please check with either the insurance company or the Coordinator, Workplace Support if you are unsure.

Staff members should not pay for any medical or like expenses relating to the treatment of their work-related injury/Illness. Please have your treatment provider forward the account(s) to the University of Ballarat, marked to the attention of the Co-ordinator, Workplace Support. If a staff member has paid medical expenses, the University will only refund medical expenses paid by staff members at the scheduled fee set down by the Victorian WorkCover Authority (VWA).  

Certificate of Capacity

If you seek medical treatment for a work-related injury, it is recommended you obtain a WorkCover Certificate of Capacity from your treating doctor, regardless of the seriousness of the injury or illness.

If you require time off work or alternative duties because of your injury, you must provide a Certificate of Capacity indicating this.

Initial Certificates of Capacity can only be issued by a registered medical practitioner such as a GP or Emergency Room Doctor. Your initial Certificate of Capacity can only be for 14 days*. A continuing Certificate of Capacity can be issued for up to 28 days at a time. Continuing Certificates of Capacity can be issued by a medical practitioner, Physiotherapist, Chiropractor or Osteopath*.

If you do not provide a Certificate of Capacity at the time of making your claim, the University may request that you see a GP to obtain a Certificate of Capacity.

* Source: VWA website

Time off work to attend medical appointments

Staff are encouraged to make medical appointments outside of work hours where possible. If you are unable to do this, injured staff members should provide notice in advance to their supervisor and complete a leave request form.

The leave form should indicate that time off is required relating to your WorkCover injury. A certificate of attendance may be requested by the University.

Accident Make-up Pay

What is accident make-up pay?

Accident make-up pay is paid to injured staff members who receive compensation for time off work from our insurer. The amount of accident and make-up pay paid will be the difference between the amount of compensation paid by the insurer and the staff member's regular wage.

Who is eligible for accident make up pay?

Accident and make-up pay provisions are listed in the current University Collective Agreement and the Victorian TAFE Teaching Staff Multi-Employer Certified Agreement and the University Australian Workplace Agreements.

How long will accident make up pay be paid?

Accident make-up pay will be paid to an injured staff member for no more than 52 weeks. This can be for a continuous 52 week period, or for an aggregate of 52 weeks, for any one injury. The accident and make-up pay period commences from the date of injury.

What happens if a staff member is still unable to work after the accident make-up pay period expires?

If an injured staff member has no capacity to work after the 52 week accident make-up pay period expires, the staff member will only be paid the current compensation rate, as advised by our insurer. This would usually be 75% of PIAWE.

How are superannuation and leave entitlements affected?

Once the 52 week accident make-up pay period expires the University will no longer make any contributions to your superannuation fund.

Annual leave, sick leave and long service leave entitlements will cease to accrue once the accident and make-up pay period passes.

Once you return to work superannuation payment and leave accruals will be calculated according to the hours worked.

Driving Offences

For claims received on or after 5 April 2010 weekly payments to a staff member will be reduced, or they will have no entitlement to compensation, if they are subsequently convicted or found guilty of a drink or drug driving offence.