What if I don't wish to lodge a worker's compensation claim?

The University requires all staff members who have been injured at work and require time off work, and/or medical treatment, to complete a worker's compensation form and submit it to the Co-ordinator, Workplace Support.

Why do I have to fill out a worker's compensation claim form when I have returned to my normal duties?

The University requires a claim form to be completed for all injuries requiring medical treatment and/or time off work. The claim form allows the University to register your injury for reporting purposes. By completing a claim form at the time of injury you will have a clear recollection of what occurred. This will reduce delays if any future treatment is required as there will already be an existing record of your injury and a claim number.

How will lodging a worker's compensation claim affect my employment?

If your claim has been accepted, and if you have no capacity to work, you will be paid worker's compensation while your are off work. If, within 52 weeks of your injury you are able to return to work, the University is required to provide you with employment in a position which is the same or equivalent to the position held before injury or with suitable employment. (S155A - ACA 1985)

I work a second job and now that I am injured I cannot work at all. How will this affect any compensation I receive?

If you have a second job and are injured while working for the University, you will need to provide our WorkCover Insurer with evidence of your secondary employment. There is a section on the claim form that requests this information. You will also be required to provide proof of employment for your second job, such as a the employer's name, contact details and current payslips, hours of work, etc. If appropriate, the Insurer will calculate your entitlement to compensation based on the wages you receive from both jobs.

Do I have to advise the University if I have any pre-existing injuries or diseases prior to commencing my employment?

Yes. The University will ask you, in writing, about any pre-existing illness or injury which you not only know about, but could reasonably foresee that the condition could be affected by the described work duties and advise you, in writing, that failing to disclose such a condition will mean you will not be paid compensation for that condition.
The aim is to help us provide a safe workplace for you and other workers, and to prevent injuries from recurring. This requirement does not affect any obligation an employer has under the equal employment opportunity and disability discrimination laws.

Do I have to participate in a return-to-work plan?

Yes. If you fail to reasonably participate in a return to work plan your entitlement to compensation may be terminated.

Every effort is made by the University to provide duties in a return to work plan that are suitable to your physical and medical capabilities. Return to work plans are developed following consultation with yourself, your treating doctor and your supervisor.

What if I disagree with the duties or hours offered in my return to work plan?

If you disagree with the duties offered in your return to work plan you should speak to your treating doctor and advise both the Co-ordinator, Workplace Support and the Insurer that you feel the duties are not suitable. You may be requested to provide medical or other evidence as to why you disagree with the existing plan.

Can I choose my own occupational rehabilitation provider?

Yes. If you are entitled to receive occupational rehabilitation, the University or the insurance company will provide you with a list of occupational rehabilitation providers to choose from. Further information on occupational rehabilitation services can be found at: WorkSafe Victoria: Occupational Rehabilitation.