Reporting an injury

Federation University Australia (the University) supports early injury reporting and an early intervention approach to injury management. The injury management process will commence as soon as possible after a work-related injury/illness is reported, taking into account all aspects of your recovery. Our injury management process is detailed in our Injury Management Policy and Procedures and is in accordance with the University’s obligations under the Workplace Injury Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2013.

If you become injured or ill because of work, please make sure you receive appropriate treatment as soon as possible. Your health is the most important thing. You also need to ensure that you report the injury as soon as possible. You can do this by completing an Injury Report form.

Talk to your supervisor and let them know what assistance or support you need to safely remain at or return to work. This could include reduced hours or modifications to your duties or work area. Your supervisor can also refer you to the University’s WorkCover and Return to Work Advisor for advice or assistance.

Lodging a WorkCover claim

If you decide that you want to lodge a WorkCover claim, you can download a Worker’s Injury Claim Form or we can send a form out to you. You can choose to make a claim to cover many out of pocket expenses and loss of income. If your injury is the result of a motor vehicle accident, you must report the accident to the police.

If you wish to claim for loss of income (weekly payments), you will need to provide a Certificate of Capacity issued by a medical practitioner. The first certificate can cover up to the first 14 days of work capacity. You need to sign the Certificate of Capacity for it to be valid.

All completed claims paperwork should be given to the University’s WorkCover and Return to Work Advisor.


The person responsible for WorkCover at the University is:

Joanne Fiorenza
Injury Management and Wellbeing Coordinator
PO Box 663
Ballarat VIC 3353
Ph: 53276197

The University must send the claim paperwork to their insurer within 10 days of receipt. The University’s WorkCover insurer is:

Allianz Australia Insurance Ltd
PO Box 324
Geelong VIC 3220
Ph: 5226 1000

Useful links