Critical incident 12/06/21
Gippsland Campus closed Friday 11 June Click here for more information.

Employee Assistance Program FAQs

What is the Employee Assistance Program (EAP)?

The EAP is a professional employee support service intended for employees who face difficulties that affect their well-being, work performance, or enjoyment of the workplace. This service is strictly confidential and is provided by an independent organisation appointed by the University.  The services provided under the EAP are:

  • Counselling
  • Career Assist
  • Manager Assist

How will the EAP help me?

The services provided under the EAP allow for short-term assistance with either personal or workplace issues. Counsellors will discuss the issues with you and assist you in formulating solutions. You may need to clarify an issue, look at what options are available to you, or require assistance in developing strategies to deal with the issue.

What issues can the EAP address?

The EAP can provide help with any work-related, personal or family difficulty. Some examples include:

Personal Issues Family Issues Work Issues
  • anxiety or depression;
  • stress management
  • grief and loss
  • mid-life issues
  • emotional or physical abuse
  • low self-esteem
  • work-life balance
  • concerns about children
  • relationship issues
  • financial or legal problems
  • substance abuse
  • domestic violence
  • problems with performance
  • relationships between co-workers
  • managing conflict
  • adjusting to change
  • career issues
  • work stress
  • traumatic events

Will it cost me anything to use the EAP?

The EAP is free of charge to you. The University pays a fee to the EAP provider for the delivery of services.  In some instances, a referral to other specialist services or organisations may be recommended.  If you are advised to contact another organisation, it is your choice and you will be responsible for any costs incurred.  If you are referred to another organisation, contact them to find out what (if any) cost is involved before you make a decision.

* Refer: FedUni's EAP Guidelines

Will anyone know I have used the EAP?

The EAP service provider guarantees 100% confidentiality. All aspects of the service are designed to ensure that the privacy of users is maintained. Private information shared with the EAP provider will not be communicated to anyone unless you have given your permission.

Do I get time off to use the EAP?

Staff members may call the EAP from a University telephone during work hours. If a face-to-face appointment is required, staff members may make the appointment during work hours, with full pay on presentation of a certificate of attendance.

Staff are expected to consult with their supervisor/manager before leaving work.

For confidentiality staff members are encouraged to make EAP appointments outside of work hours or use leave entitlements for any time off work.

Is there a limit to the number of sessions I can have?

The EAP service is intended for short-term assistance and advice.  A combined limit of four (4) sessions of counselling/Career Assist per person, per year, applies.  However, if your EAP counsellor identifies that you need more than four sessions, the counsellor will discuss options with you.  If you need long-term specialist assistance, the EAP counsellor may refer you.

Manager Assist services are available for six (6) sessions per year, per issue.

Can I be forced to use the EAP?

A staff member cannot be instructed to contact the EAP and cannot be forced to take part in any activity organised under the EAP.

FedUni managers and supervisors are encouraged to show concern for the welfare of their staff. In that context, they may suggest that a staff member contact the EAP service. They must do so sensitively, privately, and without undue insistence. A staff member's unwillingness to make use of the EAP cannot in itself justify any disciplinary action or sanction.

How do I get more information?

How do I provide feedback or lodge a complaint about the EAP?

The service provider will ask you to provide feedback on their service.  In addition, FedUni has an EAP Feedback form on the University’s website.  This feedback can be provided anonymously and enables the University to identify what is working well and also to identify potential process or service improvements.

If you wish to lodge a complaint about the EAP service, you can contact the provider directly on the number provided or you can contact the Injury Management and Wellbeing Coordinator on 03 5327 6197.

Any complaints lodged directly with the Injury Management and Wellbeing Coordinator are treated with the strictest confidentiality.  Issue resolution processes will commence immediately with the service provider.  In some instances, the service provider will contact you directly to discuss the complaint.  Staff members lodging a complaint about the EAP service to the Injury Management and Wellbeing Coordinator will receive a response to their complaint within seven (7) days of receipt.