How to edit uploaded videos on Kaltura
Editing of videos is not just limited to Kaltura Capture. Kaltura features an easy to use suite of editing tools available from within your web browser. This allows you to trim, chop, add captions, set a thumbnail and add chapters.
1. Navigate to the My Media space by going via the drop down box in the right corner under your name and then clicking My Media
2. In the My Media space, you will see all your already uploaded content. To the right of each video will be an Edit button. Clicking this will open the edit page for that video.
3. The default tab in the editing page is the Details tab. This is where you can update the Name, give the video a Description and add and remove tags for easier organisation and searching of video's.
4. The Collaboration tab will allow you to transfer ownership of the video to another staff member or add them as a collaborator, enabling both of you to edit the video.
5. The Captions tab allows you to upload a file with a subtitles for your video, improving the accessibility of your resource.
5.1. The file format for captions/subtitles is a .srt file. This file has a specific format that must be adhered to.
The first line of the file is the sequence number. Each caption that is displayed on screen will have its own sequence number. The next line is the time code, this follows the format Hours:Minutes:Seconds,milliseconds. The first time code is the time the caption should start being displayed, the second is the time the caption should stop being displayed. These are separated by a double dash arrow (-->). Be careful that the text program you use does not change these to a different style of arrow.
Below the time code is the Caption Text, you can have two lines of text but try to have a max of four words per line. Too many words can be difficult to read on screen and within in the allotted time.
A blank space is required to separate the different caption sequences.
6. The Timeline tab allows you to add chapters to the video for easier navigation. Click the Bookmark icon to the left of the timeline. This will display chapter options below. From here you can use the Time and Tags option to refine the start time of the chapter. The Chapter Information settings are where you add the title of the chapter. A description can also be added.
Note: Trimming can be done from the Launch Editor button on the videos preview page.