The first page you see after logging in is called your Dashboard. You can configure some of the contents and layout of this page.
Just below the FedUni logo in the top-left corner, there are several tabs that you use to navigate Mahara. Rolling over a tab will usually reveal more links below it. The tabs are:
- Dashboard: this will bring you back to this Dashboard page from anywhere in Mahara.
- Content: this is where you can enter and edit profile and resume information, and add files and journals.
- Portfolio: this is where you can create pages for sharing with others.
- Groups: where you can form your own user groups and interact with other users of the system via discussion forums and shared pages. We won't be looking at groups in this introduction to Mahara, but you are welcome to experiment.
In the top-right corner are links to:
- Settings: you can generally leave these as they are.
- Inbox: where your notifications are held. By default, these are also sent to you via email.
- Logout: always remember to logout when you've finished editing your ePortfolio if you are using a shared computer.
You can find other users in the system by using the Search users box at the top of the page. Enter a name or part of a name and press the Enter/Return key on your keyboard.
On the right of the page are a number of blocks with information. The number and type of blocks you see will depend on your context (whereabouts in the system you currently are).
In the screenshot above we can see that there was one Mahara user online at that time. Click on a user's name to access their profile page. Every user has a profile page that is accessible by all other users of ePortfolios@FedUni, and you can also make this page open to the public.
You should only place minimal information on your profile page, for privacy reasons.
Mahara gives context-sensitive help, anywhere you find the information icon .
Click the icon to see help information that is specific to your context. An example is shown below.