Critical incident 18/10/21
Berwick campus is closed under current Victorian Government lockdown restrictions. Click here for more information.

Requesting legal services

How do I request legal services?

  • Instructions should be addressed to the Legal Office by email to
  • Research contracts must be approved by Research Services and the Request for Legal Services form must be signed by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research) or Director, Research Services.
  • Where a Partner Agreement (private provider) is proposed (whether international or local), the Request for Legal Services form must be signed by the Pro-Vice Chancellor (International). A Proposed Partner Agreement (docx, 1.4mb) form must also be completed and approval from the International and Partners Committee obtained. A Request for Legal Services form is not required for this.
  • Staff in the Legal Office are happy to answer routine email queries.

Is the document legally binding?

A legally binding agreement will not always take the form of a standard agreement or contract, but could be in the form of a letter for example. If staff are in doubt whether a particular document has the potential to legally bind the University, they should check with the Legal Office prior to proceeding.