Federation University Australia Council
|Title of legislative body ||Roles and responsibilities relevant to governance |
|University Governance || |
- Provide a clear statement on the University's strategic direction, vision and mission
and continually monitor progress against agreed goals.
- Shape and review its vision, mission and values and evaluate its own performance.
- Appoint and appraise the performance of the Vice-Chancellor as chief executive.
- Require and monitor compliance with statutory and regulatory obligations.
- Oversee the establishment and effective operation of key policies consistent with legal requirements and the spirit of community expectations, including those expressed in statutes and regulations.
- Ensure delegated responsibilities and authorities are clearly defined to the Vice-Chancellor and other bodies, and to the Boards and other committees.
- Ensure adequate risk management procedures and associated internal controls are established and effectively maintained.
- Approve and monitor commercial undertakings and monitor education, training, research and consultancy activities.
- Oversee the effective and prudential operation of the University, receive periodic reports and assess performance against key performance indicators agreed with management, including:
- approve and monitor budgets and financial plans of the University
- ensure the University's assets and resources are properly managed; and
- approve and monitor the operations and achievements of the controlled entities of the University.
- Effectively manage its own operations, including the appointment of the Chancellor, selection of new members and their induction and the proper execution by members of their fiduciary duties.
Refer Figure 1: Governance Structure of the University
The monitoring and reporting framework of the University will be subject to independent external audit, the findings of which will be reported to Council.
The University's Annual Report to the Victorian Government will incorporate the externally audited financial statements of the University and a report on University governance and achievements for the relevant year. The Annual Report will be made available on the University's website.
Further information can be found at the Role of Council section.
The Council, by resolution, may constitute and appoint such committees as it thinks fit. A committee appointed by the Council must report to the Council on its activities at such times and in such manner as the Council directs. The operations of the Academic Board and committees of the Council may be reported in the form of minutes of the meetings.
|Title of Committee || Roles and responsibilities relevant to governance |
|Council Governance and Risk Management |
|Council Executive Committee || |
- Council Executive Committee - The Committee is responsible to Council for the conduct of such business as is necessary between meetings of the Council (generally deemed to be of an urgent nature) or such specific business and with such authority as is delegated to it by the Council. The committee also acts as a legislation, naming, honorary degree and nomination committee and advises on matters relevant to the terms and membership of council committees, and university ceremonies.
|Audit and Risk Committee || |
- Audit and Risk Committee - The Committee is responsible to Council for the scope of work, performance and independence of internal audit, the engagement and dismissal by management of any chief internal audit executive, the scope of work, independence and performance of the external auditor, the operation and implementation of the risk management framework, matters of accountability and internal control affecting the operations of the University, and the University's process for monitoring compliance with laws and regulations and its own Human Resource Policies and Procedures and code of financial practice.
|Appeals Committee |
- Council members
- Appeals Committee -The Appeals Committee when it meets with Council members is governed by Statute 5.4 Exclusion for Reasons of Unfitness [Regulation 5.4] and under Statute 2.4 (section 5) Student Discipline Regulation 2.4 (section 12). This Committee has an appeal function when it meets with Council members and hears appeals from decisions on an as needs basis and meets as required.
|Financial Management |
|Infrastructure Committee || |
- Infrastructure Committee - The Committee is responsible to Council for the development and implementation of capital projects greater than $200,000, campus master planning and policy relating to physical assets.
|Finance Committee || |
- Finance Committee - The committee is responsible to Council for advising on matters concerning finance, investments, asset management and insurance. This includes review of financial and budget reports, borrowings, commercial ventures and accounting policies.
|Remuneration Committee || |
- Remuneration Committee - The Committee annually sets performance goals and reviews the performance of the Vice-Chancellor on behalf of Council. It also considers and sets the Vice-Chancellor's and the senior executive officers salary and remuneration.