Building the skills of our web publishing community is just one of the responsibilities of the Web Team. We also work on continuous improvement to the site in terms of usability, responsiveness, accessibility, and design. Submit a request via the Service Desk Portal if you would like to discuss ideas or ask for help to improve your area's website. The following are some of the improvements we have implemented lately.
Library website redevelopment
On the 16 March 2017 the Digital and eLearning team and the Library Services team launched the new Library website.
With the aim of developing a user-centric site, the initial project team began the redevelopment by focusing on two key areas:
- The target audience - Who is accessing the Library website?
- User tasks - What are users trying to achieve?
From this, the team then created the 'Shape The Library' User Engagement Project, which enlisted a range of users from all locations and fields to undertake user testing and help 'shape' the final structure and content of the new Library website.
Overall, along with the inclusion of modern graphics to refresh its general look, the redevelopment has vastly improved the structure of the site's content, with users being able to confidently get from one place to the next without unknowingly skipping over any important content.
New home page design
Launched at the start of December, the new-look home page, promoting FedUni to prospective students, was the first stage of our planned website update. The redesign was based on analytics, usability and accessibility guidelines. The other main landing pages will be progressively launched with the new design later this year.
Changes to home page
- The parallax scrolling design features many new elements alongside existing functionality. Take a look over the page to see what's new (hint: social media links; contact area; + more)
Header and footer
The new header and footer design will be implemented across the website and in other FedUni applications.
It has been created to elevate the most popular (*based on Google Analytics) areas of the website so people can get to the information they want with less clicks. In the header are some new items:
- Maps - based on user feedback, we have made the link to our campus maps more prominent
- Library - this links exists already and is the most visited* area on the website. A link to the library is also included under Students quick links.
- Courses - this links directly to Course Finder
- Students - quick links and direct links to the most popular* systems for students
- Staff - quick links to the most popular* areas and direct links to the most popular* systems for staff
- Contact - this is based on user feedback requesting easy to find contact details.
- International languages website - this area includes links to key information in various languages.
- New Arts Academy website
- Engagement pages
- Faculty of Science and Technology research pages